Reload this Page >

jetlag and timing sleep

Search

jetlag and timing sleep

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 02:35 PM
ginger

jetlag and timing sleep

How do you prepare for the 6 hour time difference to Spain? Should I start going to bed earlier? How do you recover from jetlag?

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Bob

Try these ideas: <BR>1) Avoid all alcohol on the airplane on the way over (I've never been able to bring myself to follow this rule) <BR>2) Eat a light meal on the plane (I don't follow this rule very well either) and drink plenty of liquids (non-alcoholic) <BR>3) When you arrive in the country, try to stay awake the first day (no afternoon naps) and try to walk around and see things even though you may be very tired. Go to bed the first night a little early and sleep in a little late and you should feel almost normal on the second day. (I do follow this third rule and it seems to work)

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Lesli

Jetlag is a common topic on this board - do a search to find lots of suggestions. <BR> <BR>I find that following Bob's recommendations, plus taking a melatonin before bed the night before I leave and a couple of nights after I arrive at my destination allows me to travel with minimal jetlag.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:53 PM
StCirq

Just pretend you never heard of jetlag. Try to get some sleep on the plane, drink plenty of water, and stay up until at least 9 pm on your first day in Europe. Jetlag is a myth - let this be your mantra. Actually, the only jet lag I experience is coming back to the States - but it's really just a biological form of depression at being "back to the grind."

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Capo

Lesli, my jetlag has never been all that severe but last year, when my girlfriend & I flew to Barcelona, she brought along some melatonin for us to try. I have to admit that my jetlag on that trip was the least I've ever had on any trip to Europe. The first day was still troublesome, but after the first night's sleep, we felt great.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Linda Lizzio

I agree with Bob's method. But also, one of the most important things that you can do to fight jet lag is to get out into the daylight upon your arrival. And stay out in the daylight for as long as possible. This actually resets your body's time clock. My husband and I use this method with our two young children and it works like a charm. The whole family is a happy bunch the next day!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Patrick

I have a lot of trouble sleeping on a plane. I break all the rules. I have a couple of scotches before dinner, lots of wine with dinner, and usually an after dinner drink. Then I sleep like a baby. After arriving in Europe in the morning, I usually manage to keep going all day, but go to bed about 8 or 9 the first evening. By 6 or 7 AM the next day I am raring to go.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:54 AM
frank

Use melatonin. <BR>You can't buy it in the EC, but its available without prescription in the US, most airports have it.It resets the body clock.Take it 24 hrs before your first European bedtime.Works for me.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 01:34 AM
wendy

For some reason, I've never had problems going OVER, it is on the way home that I have the most jetlag...does anyone else do this? <BR> <BR>I've been told most people suffer the worst going over. Even if I can't sleep on the plane or pass up wine with dinner, when it is dark and then I see the sun rise, it seems natural to get going on a new day. <BR> <BR>On the way back, with sun hours all the way, it seems to last for-ever and it takes me days to catch up. <BR> <BR>All the advice about going over mentioned is right on, especially avoiding the afternoon naps...just keep going as long as you can outside in the sunlight. <BR> <BR>Bonne Chance- <BR>Wendy <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Linda

Don't worry Wendy, you're not the only one. Going West to East, I have no problems, as long as I stay awake until at least 9 p.m. at my destination. By then I'm exhausted, sleeep really well, and am fine the next day. Going East to West is another matter--no matter what I do, including melatonin, it still takes me a week to recover. (And I do so hate waking up at 2 a.m., not able to sleep any more!)