Search

Jeans vs. pants

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeans vs. pants

HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!! Going on a river cruise on the Danube in early October. Are jeans acceptable or are slacks a better choice? Will long pants be too warm to walk on tours? Should I pack a few pairs of capris?
Thank you, just am not sure how to pack!!!
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Black slacks all the way. Too cold for capris. A few pairs of anything is one pair too many. How big is your cabin? Dress in layers.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Jeans are miserable when wet, take ages to dry and weigh as much as two pairs of trousers.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Womens jeans are not as heavy as mens, and frankly, they don't make those super weighty jeans much anymore. All this "jeans are twice as heavy and take ages to dry" nonsense is nonsense. /rant
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Sorry, jeans do take a long time to dry ( at least longer than pants do) even the lighter weight versions. Dark colored pants will be your best bet. I love jeans but generally leave them at home when traveling.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I took a pair of the new "city jeans"(darker in color and lighter in weight) to France recently and lived in them. They were appropriate everywhere. Usually I don't take jeans to travel, but this time I was very glad I did.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Your black slacks will take you anywhere in Europe. I'd leave the jeans at home.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think a pair of nice jeans is OK, if that's something you typically wear at home. Just don't get them wet or plan to wash them. Wear them on the plane ride over so they don't bulk up your suitcase. I would also have a couple pair of dark slacks in addition.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:34 PM

I just got back from a week in Spain and was thankful that I'd brought along a pair of thin, wide-legged (comfy) jeans! Both my husband and I wore our jeans multiple times in Madrid and felt like we fit in pretty well. My thin jeans took very little room in my suitcase. I'd say as long at the jeans are in a contemporary style and comfortable to wear, bring them. ;-)
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM

I have jeans that weigh next to nothing, and depending on what kind of trip it's going to be, often take them. They can be dressed up or down, and are incredibly comfortable. Also, who gets their jeans wet? If you're properly clothed on the rest of you, why would your pants get wet? And unless you're on a long trip, why would you need to wash them unless you had a major spill? Maybe I'm really odd, but I wear jeans at home 4-5 times before washing them. I don't get involved in particularly dirty activities.

That said, I usually bring jeans along because I'm going to be in the countryside in small villages, going to markets, exploring, hiking, etc. I'm not likely to wear them in Paris or Rome.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM

I take my jeans, both a heavier pair and a very lightweight quick-drying pair (which I bought in Zurich) every time I go to Europe. I also take a pair of nice black pants, for times when I want to feel a bit more dressed up. I also have a pair of very lightweight quick-drying brown pants. I can go for a couple of weeks or more, re-wearing jeans/pants several times each.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM

I find tights much more comfortable than jeans on a long flight , also easy to dress up for stay in Paris, Rome.. ( not in the summer though) - look good with bale flats, sandals, boots..a long shirt or top ( as long as it covers the behind)
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd take 1 pair of dark wash jeans and 1 pair of medium weight black slacks.

You'll be on a river - in October - you'll more likely need scarves and gloves than capris. Leave the summer clothing home . . . .
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM

I have always taken a pair of good looking black jeans when going to Italy. They can be used for casual such as walk in the country or for a casual dinner with a black top and perhaps a jacket if the weather is coolish. Regarding rain, jeans can dry quicker and easier than wool pants although if it is autumn I have packed those also. I so agree with StCirq's comments.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 11:27 PM

Remember it's always colder on the water, and the sun may not shine and/or it may rain. There are bound to be other people on board wearing jeans, I wouldn't worry if jeans are what work with your layers.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 12:04 AM

The river cruises are not as dressy as ocean cruises, if that's what you are worrying about. You'll see loads of jeans being worn.

Wear whatever you find most comfortable. I live in jeans so do the same on holiday; I also find the heavy/hard to dry comments comical. Unless you are planning on falling in...
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 05:56 AM

oh and on the black slacks go anywhere...depends on your age.

10 years ago EVERYONE wore black trousers on a night out. Now...I never see them and they are relegated back to work wear unless the person is over,say, 50, or else very 'un-hip'. I know as I'm in my 40s and hang out with a bunch of ladies in their 30s, and we all used to dress in those black trousers plus top 10 years ago. About 3 years ago I suddenly had a Eureka moment when we were out that I was the only person still dressing like that in the entire club. Everyone else was in dark jeans. Felt very old not to have noticed the change in fashion, and stopped wearing them evenings. I much prefer jeans anyway.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Just returned from Italy which I know is not on the Danube, but jeans everywhere on every age it seemed to me. I would take a darker fashionable looking pair
with the slimmer legs and with some stretch for comfort. I
took black ones. I had to buy a coat year before last in Sept
in Germany (on the Danube) to be warm enough. Have a good trip.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Wear what you're more comfortable in. As many have said, it's early October and you're on the water so definitely not capris. I've always found it much easier to wear long pants and then just layer on top (T-shirt, sweater, jacket) for temperature changes.

Take a pair of slacks so you can dress up if you need to for evenings.

<B>Most important</B>... have fun
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM

I like cords for daytime. And I like black slacks and a pair of dark dress jeans with boots for evenings.

I pack a pashmina to dress things up and to use as a black wrap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -