Search

Jazz in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Barb

Jazz in Rome

I will be in Rome,solo, end of Sept. I just found out the opera house is closed in Sept. I wonder if there are any jazz clubs or any other places to hear good music in maybe a club or restaurant atmosphere. I will be staying in the P. Navona area. I guess I am looking for evening entertainment/music that I would feel comfortable going to by myself. Thanks for your help.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 11:18 AM
dean

Alexanderplat is the famous jazz house in the area by the Vatican. There is a lot of live music in Testacchio and Trastevere and some of it is jazz.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Barb

Dean: do you know more specifically where in Travestere I could find these places?

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:04 AM
dean

When we stayed in Trastevere it was during the Noastrani festival (mid to late July). The music was very much of the street musician variety with a stage set up for traditional music. There were several bars and a music hall but I don't remember any names in particular. <BR><BR>Testaccio, across the Tiber from Trastevere, has a much more organized music scene. The neighborhood around Monte Testaccio is full of night clubs. We jsut walked around the mount and stood outside listening to Latin jazz, cool jazz and other musical treats. By the way, Checchino dal 1887 is located in Monte Testaccio and serves very traditional Roman cuisine based on Innards. Testaccio was the traditional home to the butchers of Rome.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Marilyn

The Rome city internet site has a link for the entertainment available. You may want to look at this closer to when you are there. You can even book tickets if there are other events you want to attend. Marilyn

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Steve James

Barb - The main one in Trastevere, I think, is<BR>BIG MAMA <BR>www.bigmama.it<BR><BR>Besides ALEXANDERPLATZ which Dean mentioned, a few others in Rome are:<BR>GREGORY'S<BR>www.gregorysjazzclub.com <BR>FONCLEA<BR>NEW MISSISSIPPI JAZZ CLUB<BR>NEW ORLEANS CAFE<BR><BR>For a calendar of what's on, seeBR>www.romarock.it/avvenime.htm<BR>www.musicaroma.it/concerti.asp<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Barb

Thanks to everyone for the great info. Can't wait to be there.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:54 AM

to the top<BR>