Search

Janrt Flanner

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Pastis

Janrt Flanner

Does anyone know the name of the hotel where Janet Flanner lived? In what area of Paris.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 08:32 AM
michele

Hotel St.Germain de Pres. <BR> <BR>M.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 08:39 AM
????

Who is she?

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 09:16 AM
mimi taylor

A very famous writer, friend of Colette, Djuna Barnes and all the famous women of the left bank. She wrote under the name of GENET for the New Yorker covering everthing in Paris and the war front. Her journals are a good read. Type in Janet Flanner, there is a web site.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 11:46 AM
????

Thank you Mimi. This is enough information for me but thanks for your suggestions

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Jack

Janet Flanner lived on the Left Bank at first but ended up on the Right, in an upper room in a hotel on the rue de Rivoli or Saint Honore, I believe. It might be where the Intercontinental is, not sure. MFK Fisher talks about meeting her in one of her books, I think. She basically had just a room, where she worked and slept, and spent the rest of her time in cafes and country houses of friends. <BR> <BR>There is a wonderful book, called Darlingissima, about her relationship with a French editor and writer who was her companion for many years.