Search

Jamie Oliver Does Italy-worth seeing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
LJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamie Oliver Does Italy-worth seeing?

The ex-naked chef is off to Italy starting tonight on the Food Network (well, at least in my area). When food and travel and a good looking, outspoken man are combined, it has got to be interesting.Is it really the debut or has anyone already seen this new series? Am I kidding myself that this is must-see TV for the travelling foodie?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:47 PM

I would be interested to watch this but do not see it on my tv schedule. What time is it on and where? His cookbooks are pretty good.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:04 PM

I've seen this on it's first run in the UK. Outstanding series, just turn away when it gets to the scene of Jamie slaughtering the lamb. He says (quite rightly in my opinion) that if you want to eat it, you shouldn't be afraid to kill it.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:16 PM
LJ
Original Poster

I see it on the schedule in Canada at 9pm Eastern standard: I have no idea whether this is one of the simulcasted programmes or not?
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 09:07 AM
LJ
Original Poster

Having posed the question and seen some response, I will now ttt and give a review.

So-so...this appeared to me less of either a travel or a foodie piece than a "celebrity", "reality" show. The shtick in the first episode was that Jamie headed for Sicily by VW van and, in Palermo, out-cooked some Italian street vendors in a tough neighbourhood. Ho-hum.

His family is due to meet him later and they will camp and eat their way through Italy(or just Sicily?). Some interesting food ideas, nothing terribly innovative; frustratingly little on the country-side: if you weren't paying really close attention, you might miss any reference to exact locale. B- on this critic's scale.

But I will check it out again this week to see if it improves as Sicily, and food as prepared by folks that live there, would seem to be a duo you can't muck up.