Search

Jacqui Lawson Advent Calendar - Cornwall

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2016, 06:07 AM
cfc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacqui Lawson Advent Calendar - Cornwall

Although some can find Jacqui Lawson's cards and games too sentimental, verging on kitsch, I enjoyed receiving the Seaside Advent calendar this year, which focuses on Cornwall and Cornish customs. https://www.jacquielawson.com/advent

Especially if you have been there and/or might have a child or grandchild to share it with, you might not only enjoy the music and the whimsy but also exploring the puzzles and games embedded in the entire scene. For example, you can design some snowflakes, which show up in micro-miniature falling on the scene (nevermind that Cornwall doesn't get snow). And there are a wreath, a Santa, etc., that can be designed and then appear on your calendar. Discussions of certain customs appear as well as the requisite Lawson scenes of frolicking kittens, boys with toy trains, etc.

If you've ever had the fortune to visit Cornwall - as we did in Sept. in Penzance and St. Ives - this isn't a bad way to revisit in a mood of mellowness and utter innocence (of whatever political insanity that might have been visited on you this year, among other things).

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!

(No, this is not a paid or solicited endorsement)
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 06:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cornwall not get snow.... you try it on the moor in midwinter and you might be surprised.

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 08:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
cfc - I downloaded the advent calendar too but I didn't realise that it was supposed to be Cornwall. I get the impression that people I send the cards too like the kitsch and the whimsy - and I do too, most of the time.

bilbo, we don't live on the moors but we have had snow - probably 4-5 times in 20 years - and enough to go tobogganing a couple of times. But generally we don't get much and it doesn't last long. Thank goodness.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ann when I first moved to Yorkshire we had deep snow every year, now, maybe once every 5 years.

Now thank goodness there are no climate change deniers in the US
Merry Christmas
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 09:08 AM

i know, bilbo, it's such a relief to know that protection of the world's climate is going to have such an enthusiastic advocate in the new President.

Seriously, the Russian couple we were chatting to in a restaurant in Ortigia, said that even in Moscow where they live, winters are becoming a lot warmer with far less snow.

Which of course is nothing to do with the loss of the rain forest, or burning fossil fuels at ever great rates, or anything like that.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 11:24 AM

20 inches of snow on my balcony -I voted for Trump in hopes that Global Warming will accelerate>

No Cornish Pasties on that calendar?

Will Cornwall secede from the UK and make Celtic their official language?

Will the capital be Mousehole?
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 12:18 PM
cfc
Original Poster

OK re: the snow. I'm very glad to know it can snow in/on Cornwall -- must be lovely, what with palm trees and half-timber houses and all.

My comment was based on the scorn of a Penzance B&B manager when I said "it must be pretty here when it snows," and he answered "I don't remember any snow here my entire life -- it doesn't even freeze." I had trouble believing that since it was a very stinging 45F one of the days we were there in Sept. but the man seemed quite stern and serious. Chalk it up to another gullible tourist. Either that or the difference in climate between oceanside vs. interior areas.

I haven't opened all the little doors yet, PalenQ, so I'm not sure about the pasties. There is ample reference to tea, although not specifically cream tea. I think having a capital of anything be Mousehole is a splendid idea. In a little while, I may propose renaming the DC capitol area something similar and definitely with the same last 4 letters.

What would be Celtic for Merry Christms?
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 12:21 PM

, I may propose renaming the DC capitol area something similar and definitely with the same last 4 letters.>

How about Rathole but your version may be better- or Arse Rathole?
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 12:27 PM

http://www.bitesize.irish/blog/happy...-irish-gaelic/
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 01:53 AM

I had trouble believing that since it was a very stinging 45F one of the days we were there in Sept. but the man seemed quite stern and serious. Chalk it up to another gullible tourist. Either that or the difference in climate between oceanside vs. interior areas. >>

cfc - there is a significant difference between the climate right on the coast and that inland; when I used to go to work in Penzance I could more or less guarantee that it would be a few degrees warmer there than at home so he was being serious I think. we do not have very great temperature variations - most of the time it fluctuates between 5C and 20C, with "extremes" of 0C- 25C. The coldest I can remember is -10C [once in 20 years] and a high of 31C [ditto] but we live inland on quite high ground.

But enough of that!

Nadelik Lowen ha Bledhen Nowydh Da!

[Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in Cornish which is a celtic language closest to Bretagne]
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 08:12 PM

I have all the Advent calendars from Jacquie Lawson - I sit with my granddaughter and open them. Love the old fashioned ones and winter scenes