Jacket or coat recommendations during Amsterdam's winter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My end of January / February trip to the Dam is quickly approaching. Anyone have recommendations as to which type of coat will provide the best protection against the winter elements? Should I include a raincoat? Or will a medium thick wool coat be sufficient. (Or should my coat just be waterproof?) I plan on being outside enjoying the sites, cafes, muesums, and streets of Amsterdam. Since this is my first trip, I'd like to plan appropriately. Thanks.

Chris
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:51 AM

I just did a Google search for "Amsterdam Weather" and found many good resources. This one looks to be the best for weather questions about Amsterdam:

http://tinyurl.com/2x3m8g

Click on "See averages for all months" and you get excellent historical data at a glance.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:09 AM

Your coat should be waterproof, and fairly warm.
At the moment we have mild wet weather (7 c today). The forecast for the end of January, which may or may not be accurate at this time, is for drier and slightly colder weather. http://tinyurl.com/ynkusg
I would always go for waterproof though, and pack maybe a fleece or similar towear under it, so if it gets colder you will still be warm.
A hat and scarf are probably also a good idea - the winds can feel very cold.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:03 AM

A wool coat takes forever to dry after a walk in the rain. Umbrellas are useless on windy days, and since Amsterdam is close to the sea it's likely to be windy.

Myself, I'd take a GoreTex or similar rainproof jacket with hood and fleece lining plus scarf and gloves.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:16 AM

A few years ago we were in AMS Dec/Jan. We like to walk everywhere to really see the city. We experienced dry, cold rain, and ice. I wore layers of clothes and my new stylish all-weather coat only to find it was not as waterproof as I expected. Steady cold rain eventually penetrated it and I got very cold. My husband was in his outdoorsy waterproof shell with down removable liner and he was dry and toasty. I wished I had either my long wool coat (that holds off water as well as the all weather coat) or my outdoorsy waterproof shell with removable down as well.

I also found that I needed waterproof shoes or boots with the best traction for the icy bridges over the canals and the cobblestones.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM

The weather can be very variable at this time of year. Just before Christmas we had a really cold spell and it got down to -10. It's quite mild at the moment at around 8 degrees.

My advice would be warm, waterproof coat, lots of layers, hat, scarf, gloves. If like me you really feel the cold, consider some leggings or tights under trousers.

Enjoy your stay!

Netherlands info:
http://www.insquish.com
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM

It can be quite chilly - but not usually icy cokd. Most important is a sturdy folding umbrellas, waterproofed walking shoes or booties (two pair - since they can stil get damp) and an out layer that is waterproof. You can put as many layers under as you want.

I never found Amsterdam particularly windy - but then I'm used to NYC - which has a massive harbor and rivers on all sides - so tends to be very windy in winter.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:55 PM

About Amsterdam in Winter, actually from end of November, it is quite chilly with quite strong winds! And about 4.30pm it is quite dark already! So I advise you to wear warmer clothings!
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM

I know this is an od post but I thought I'show how variable the weather can be here
We have 14 degrees C and sun forecast for today! Very nice, but back to reality later in the week when it goes back to 4-5 C, but remaining dry, which is a trat after along period of very wet weather.