Search

Izmir or Selcuk?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Izmir or Selcuk?

Hi all --

I am flying into Izmir on this Thursday (flight arrives just after midnight), and planning to spend a couple days in the general area before going to Ayvalik. Specifically, I would like to do a day trip to Ephesus and the Temple of Aphrodite (and maybe elsewhere). I also need to be somewhere with easy access by bus to travel on to Ayvalik.

Right now, I'm scheduled to stay in a hotel in Izmir, but I'm wondering if it would be better to base myself in Selcuk instead? Is it just as easy to get to Selcuk after midnight (I'm assuming I'll need to request car service) as it is to get to Izmir? Do busses from Selcuk to Ayvalik run just as regularly as Izmir to Ayvalik?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 03:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Izmir airport is between Izmir and Selcuk. If you reserve at a good small hotel like Bella or possibly Nazhan in Selcuk, they should be able to arrange for your transport. Otherwise you will probably need a cab or pre-arrange a shuttle. (45-50 minutes drive to Selcuk and 25-30 minutes to Izmir at midnight.)

Cost of Selcuk hotel will be less and the difference plus the time and money saved next day will more than make up the cost of taxi for that night. Plus you will get the best breakfast you can imagine at the hotels i mentioned, with some very special salad greens hopefully.

I am not sure that you will find a direct bus from selcuk to ayvalik. However, Izmir is on the way and you should be able to arrange a transfer at the izmir terminal easily. And if there is a gap it can give you the chance to see a bit of the city. Check Truva, Metro, Varan and Ulusoy bus companies. I am just hoping that you can get a website in English.

By the way, the temple of Aphrodite is just a few columns left standing in the middle of nowhere, so do not be disappointed.

On the other hand, St. John's across from Bella and Nazhan and the selcuk museum are excellent.

Please try to buy some cat food from a supermarket before you visit Ephesus and any of the other sites, for the strays.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, OC!

It's interesting that you mention the cats. I just got back from Istanbul and the number of what I guess were strays -- everywhere! -- really struck me. I hope this isn't a silly question, but why are there so many?
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Hi Nina,

Because,
1. Many people feed strays
2. Some older single people take strays home and keep up to 30 or more at home. When they pass away, the cats are released into the street.
3. There are not enough municipal facilities to collect and neuter and keep them.
4. Some NGOs do support the catch neuter release process, but there are just too many everywhere.
5. Some reasons are similar to the ones in America and Europe, with spoilt children and uncaring parents deciding that they do not want the cat anymore.
6. No history of rabies in the city.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I felt bad for them (though it was clear many of them were being frequently fed), but I also have always been afraid of cats (weird thing, ever since I was little), so I have to say the cats were the only thing I didn't like about my visit.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

OC --
It looks like I waited far too late and the Bella and Nazhan were both all full. I ended up getting a room at that Urkmez Hotel in Selcuk, which I'm hopeful will be fine.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 04:44 PM

I think you will be happy with your decision to stay in Selcuk. Much more centrally located for sightseeing around the area. And Selcuk itself is very pleasant with lots of great places to eat and little shops.

As a admitted cat lover, I had great fun with the cats. I made a friend with a orange tabby in Selcuk that hopped on my lap and snuggled into my coat every time I bent down to pet him. After a few days the cat knew who I was and would run up to me! I felt sorry for all of the stray cats as well, but from the looks of it most seem well-fed so it appears as though the locals and tourists take care of them.

Have a great trip!
Tracy
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 11:02 PM

Nina, i think i heard Urkmez was also fine. please let us know.

Also, arrange to eat once at least at Bella. I hope you will be there on a Saturday to visit the street market.