I've just returned from Scotland

Jul 26th, 1997, 06:54 PM
Cheryl Hoyle

I've just returned from Scotland

My husband and I used this page before we went to Scotland and now we want to return the favor. If you need any info for your trip please contact us and we will answer your questions to our best knowledge. WE HAD A BLAST!!

Jul 26th, 1997, 10:15 PM
barbara zimmermann

wHAT A TIMELY MESSAGE. My first time on Fodors-looking for some info on Scotland and lo and behold I saw your message. We will just be there for a short time. London for a few days and then we thought Edinburgh. am interested in everything and anything but I guess would like to concentrate on the proverbial castles, and historical type things. Any "must sees" and not to be missed things. Also any recommendations on things "nearby" to see . What about hotels or BB's Would appreciate any infor. We are from the states but presently living in Hong Kong. Happy to pass on any Asia info
thanks!

Jul 28th, 1997, 07:25 AM
Linda Clemens

Just returned from Edinburgh on July 1, 1997.
University of Edinburgh has their own B&B in their dorms. Convenient to transportation, reasonably priced with a full breakfast. Would stay there again.

Jul 28th, 1997, 05:51 PM
eileen matthias

My kids are part of American High School Theater and are going to perform a play at the Fringe Festival in Edinborough in August. My husband and I are also going on our own trip and plan to meet up with them in Scotland. I wonder if you can tell me anything about the Regency Hotel in Edinborough I have a package with Virgin Vacations and I really don't know too much about this hotel. Also do you know of any good restaurants? Please let me know about your trip and what you think is worth seeing.Thanks.

Jul 28th, 1997, 08:01 PM
Cheryl Hoyle

Eileen, Its late night for me so this will be quick. The best food we had in Ed. was at De Niro's ristorante. Sorry, I don't know the address but your main desk should know. After a week of pub fare and haggis the above-incredible-service and wonderful food was a god-send. Lets face it you don't go to scotland for the food. Skip the whiskey distillery tour. Go on the Ghost tour. It's creepy in a fun way and packed full of info about Ed. Your teenagers will love it too . Sorry I dont know anything about your hotel. We did the B&B thing. Have a good trip. Feel free to contact me. I'd especially like to here about it afterwards. Cheryl

Jul 28th, 1997, 11:37 PM
per runhammar

My girlfriend and I have a few days to spend in Scotland before the Edinburg Fringe Festival. We thougt we should concentrate on one small region and drive around there. Wich region is the most impressive? Our dream is to stay at a romantic castle for a night or two. Id bee happy for any information on this. How are the B&Bīs? Expensive? Any favorite?
Thank you.

Jul 30th, 1997, 04:36 PM
Larissa Stetzenko

This is my first time accessing this bulletin board and I'm glad to see my destination online ... I'm planning a ten day trip to Glasgo, late September and want to know if you stopped there as well ... I'm collecting any and all recommendations!

Jul 31st, 1997, 06:23 PM
Debbie

My family and I are planning a trip to Scotland next summer. I would like to know which area is best to visit; interests are the arts and culture, castles, ghost tales, scenery and so on. I was thinking about Glasgow. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

Aug 1st, 1997, 05:45 AM
Kathleen

My brother and I are leaving August 12 for 2 weeks in Scotland; any recommendations for Inverness area? Western islands?

We will NOT be driving---would like to hear from anyone who got around easily without a car.

Aug 1st, 1997, 12:01 PM
SGorcester

FYI to all above. The town of Peebles in the Scottish Borders was a great town to stay in. Edinburgh was so busy, a nice place to visit but a bit hectic. Peebles is only a nice 30 min drive from Ed. The Minniebank B&B right next to the River Tweed was perfect. As far as regions go, the Borders are nice and very different from the highlands. The southern highlands offer many great places close to both Ed and Glasgow. The western area vic. Oban is positively inspired. RE: getting around Great Glen area (Inverness to Western Isles) without a car, it is NOT as easy as you may have been led to believe. Car rentals are quite reasonable in GB and the driving is fun after a short period of left side - right side confusion.

Aug 7th, 1997, 02:59 AM
Irby Cohen

I am booked for Scotland in September. Staying three weeks at Aviemore and Aberfoyle. Any suggestions on "don't miss" things to do? I will have my elderly parents with me. What about weather?

Aug 7th, 1997, 12:14 PM
Cheryl K

Kathleen:
Two years ago, me and my husband went to England/Scotland and travelled solely by Britrail. Travelling this way was very easy and we saw all the places we had wanted to see. We went to Edinburgh and stayed in a B&B however toured inverness/loch ness via bus tour found at the tourist center located just outside the train station in Edinburgh. This bus tour took you to a boat launch area and the boat went across the lake to the destroyed Urqhart castle. The bus picked us up at the other side and brought us back to Edinburgh. This was a very inexpensive way to see it all. Good Luck! P.S. We're heading to Ireland in October and again touring via train

Sep 1st, 1997, 02:10 PM
Larry Martin

the University of Edlinburg stay. how much did it
cost? how do you contact someone about reser-
vations.

Sep 1st, 1997, 02:24 PM
Larry Martin

Linda: Could you please tell a little more about
the University of Edinburgh stay. How much did
it cost per nite ? Who do you contact about re-
servations etc ? We will be there the first part of
Oct, with four (4) adults and two(2) young grand-
childern. We will first fly into London and then after
a few days drive to Edinburgh. This is our first time
to Europe. Will appreciate any information.
Thanks

Sep 2nd, 1997, 03:25 AM
Adam Sansom

I lived in Scotland for 5 years (and ended up marrying a Scot!) and the best place I ever found to stay was at the Kinnaird House Hotel near Dunkeld (which is about 10 miles from Perth on the river Tay). I can heartily recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic, country estate house location. It only has about a dozen rooms but the levels of service and food are second-to-none. You also have access to the hotel's massive grounds where fishing, riding and shooting are available. I went there for Hogmanay (New Year's) several years ago to propose to my now-wife (so I'm probably a bit biased,) and it was a wonderful experience. The address (and prices) are in most guide books I think, but if anyone can't find it then drop me a line and I'll look it up for you. (I paid Ģ270 for formal Hogmanay dinner plus B&B for 2 but that was in 1991). Enjoy Scotland!