Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I've heard about Italy in August, but what about Paris?

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always heard and read that a lot of Italians go on vacation in August, therefore, some of the shops and restaurants are closed, but what about Paris? Any real negative point to Paris in August?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM

I'll pass.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:34 AM

same thing, I suppose. I think that generally, August is a popular vacation month for all Western Europeans. There are obviously other disadvantages that would be true in many cities and countries -- not a lot is going on in August in many places, for example, in terms of performing arts.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:34 AM

August is a great time for Paris. Though many of the residents do go for their annual August vacations, their exit makes the city all the more pleasant. Traffic is way down - many streets are pedestrianized and the oft suffocating smog is greatly reduced - driving is actually leisurely and parking available and often free during August. There is a beach made on the banks of the Seine with tons of sand brought in. The downside? Though all major stores, museums, etc. will be open some small shops and restaurants may have the ubiquitous 'Ferme pour Vacances Annuale' - closed for vacation on their doors. As for how this affects restaurants i really don't know but certainly many are open. Actually for hotels August is supposed to be a lower season as the business types who use many are not there. August in Paris - to me it's a wonderful time. (But there are lots of tourists here then so lines at Louvre, Eiffel, etc. will be long!)
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've only been to Paris once, it was in August, and it was wonderful.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:44 AM
pat

just make sure you have a hotel with A/C. We roasted and the windows didn`t open. Otherwise, we had no problems.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:12 PM

I've been to Paris many times in August, and other than an occasional heatwave, I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't go back. Sometimes you can even catch a break with August hotel rates in Paris, although now that there are more visitors, that may be a thing of the past.