Reload this Page >

It's a Small World...

Search

It's a Small World...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Betsy

It's a Small World...

Check the link below. This is really a sight to behold! The image is a panoramic view of the world from the new space station. It is a night photo with the lights clearly indicating the populated areas. You can scroll East-West and North-South.<BR><BR>Note that Canada's population is almost exclusively along<BR>the U.S. border. Moving east to Europe, there is a high population<BR>concentration along the Mediterranean Coast. It's easy to spot London, Paris, Stockholm and Vienna. <BR><BR>Note the Nile River and the rest of the "Dark Continent." After the Nile, the lights don't come on again until Johannesburg. Look at the Australian Outback and the Trans-Siberian Rail Route. Moving east, the most striking observation is the difference between North and South Korea. Note the density of Japan.<BR><BR>What a piece of photography! It is an absolutely awesome<BR>picture of the Earth taken from the Boeing built Space Station last November on a perfect night with no obscuring atmospheric conditions.<BR><BR>Click here: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg<BR><BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Harriett

Betsy -- That was amazing! Thanks for sharing - and for giving me a new perspective on this world.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 09:21 PM
mark

Wow! <BR>Beautiful - thank you Betsy. Happy Holidays to all - and a healthy and prospeous New Year! Liiive, live large....

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 09:22 PM
mark

Sorry - meant propeRous... mea culpa to the spelling police

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Howard

Absolutely fascinating!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 05:59 AM
kmarie

Betsy,<BR>Thank you, thank you.<BR><BR>I've bookmarked the Astronomy Picture of the Day--<BR>http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html --and am fascinated by a new image of our wondrous universe each day.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:12 AM
canuck

OK...who turned off all the lights up here????

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:45 PM
MaryC

Thank you, Betsy. I've bookmarked it, too.<BR><BR>The Nile looks FASCINATING, doesn't it?! Completely lit up in one straight line. I suppose Africa still is the "dark continent", seeing there are few lights in the "heart of darkness". <BR><BR>Another thing that fascinates me are the little points of light that seem to be hundreds/thousands of miles from other places, especially in colder areas. I really admire those communities. Wow!<BR><BR>I want my kids to see this.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 01:25 AM
kavey

Hi Betsy<BR><BR>Merry Christmas, hope the world is well with you!<BR><BR>Thanks for the link...<BR><BR>One I love, which Dina posted here on Fodors Europe recently is the balloonhat site... <BR><BR>I think it's www.balloonhat.com<BR><BR>Do have a look...<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 04:43 AM
Norm

Betsy, this is a lovely thing to post before the New Year, and thank you for reviving it (it's been around for a while -- my brother-in-law sent this last year sometime and someone posted it here then). It still is a beautiful, if sobering, sight.<BR><BR>Note the lights at the far north of Alaska -- not "civilization" but oil-fields, if I'm not mistaken. And though some might see the lights as brilliant evidence of the "fruits" of American industry, nowhere is our disproportionate expenditure/consumption of energy more evident. But you can't deny how pretty it all looks, and how much it reminds us of our "connections" to each other.<BR>

Old May 3rd, 2002, 02:51 PM
Peacenik

Have a look and pray for peace.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:05 PM
Megan

This is so incredibly cool. I'm so glad this was topped.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:21 PM
Vladimir Ilyich

Communism is Soviet power plus the electrification of the whole country.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:46 PM
Midge

Wonderful site, makes my weekend! I think of all the people within those lights and wonder "can't we all just get along".

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:59 PM
Betsy

Hey, what a nice surprise to see this at the top again.