Itineray Help for 2 weeks in Italy???

Jul 25th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Itineray Help for 2 weeks in Italy???

I apologize for asking such a general question, but in reading many posts I still am lost.
My husband and I are planning our first trip to Italy next May and we are in desperate need of help in which cities to visit and the number of nights in each. We plan on being in Italy for 2 weeks (maybe 16 nights - just depends on itinerary). We are using frequent flier miles (business class!), so we can fly into one city and out of another (maybe into Rome and out of Venice?).
We'd like to see the Amalfi Coast (Capri, Positano), Rome, Florence, and Venice. Does anyone have any suggestions on an itinerary? Once we know the order of the places and how many nights, we can really start planning this trip. So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Erica

PS - My husband would also like to do a couple nights in Paris (and then less nights in Italy), but I think that is just too much traveling. Am I right?
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the spelling error... Itinerary help is needed (not itineray)!
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:30 AM

What type of travellers are you? Do you like to see briefly a lot of places, or fewer places in depth? What are your interests? Do you hate or love museums, architecture, history, food, hiking? If you answer these questions, you will get better answers to your first question.

My initial feeling is that the itinerary you list about fits 16 nights, but my preference is to stay in each place longer than many people like. I would be reluctant to add Paris. You could, for example, end up in Venice and fly to Paris for a couple of days, and home from there, but there is so much to see and do in Paris that I would save it for another trip.
Jul 25th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Don't try to do too much in one trip or much of your time will be spent on a train. I would leave off Amalfi for this trip (don't worry you will return to Italy). Try to stop and see some of the small towns so you can experience the charm of Italy. You can stay in a smaller town in Tuscany and day trip to Florence, Siena, Lucca....Not to add more to your list, but Cinque Terre is so amazing. We stayed in Portovenere one time and Lucca another and took a train to Cinque Terre. Good luck.
Jul 25th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your tips so far. My husband and I are in our late 20's and we are the type that like to do more exploring and sightseeing versus relaxing. I'd say we are more the type to see more places briefly versus fewer places in depth. However, that all depends on what city we are in. As for what we like to see, it all depends on where we are. We really are not the musuem and architecture kind of people, but if we are in Italy and those are the kinds of things to see, I'm sure we'd enjoy it.
We do enjoy dining and finding nice places to eat... my husband loves to research restaurants before any trip we take.
I hope that helps!
Thanks again for all of your help.
Jul 25th, 2004, 11:49 AM

You need Bob, IRA and Rex, but I'll try my best. Fly in to Rome 4 days, stop in Orvieto on your way North or just go straight to Tuscany near Siena, Florence or Lucca 4 days and day trip to the other cities. Portovenere 4 days and day trip to Cinque Terre then off top Venice and fly out of Venice. I'm tired just thinking about it. I don't know your buget but here are a few hotel recommendations: Rome Santa Chiara about $250 or Del Senato $325. Near Florence a very romantic splurge Dell'Amorosa, in Portovenere The Royal Sporting Don't know the price anymore. Venice Pensione Accademia again it has been two years so I'm not sure of the price. Hope this helps.
Jul 25th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Only you can decide which cities but here is my two cents: Last fall I visited Italy and was blown away. We stayed 3 days in Rome and 6 days in Florence. Unfortunately for you guys, it is a country of museums and architecture...but having said that, it is also a fab restaurant mecca too. I wouldn't try to smash in too many cities, as posted earlier, you will go back. Hit the big highlights in Rome, DO NOT miss Florence but stay out of Paris this trip. I wish we could of put Venice/Milan in but with only 10 days, we picked only two cities. My eatery experiences are still memorable and man, those Italian gelatos, YUMMY.
Jul 25th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Erica, to answer your original question, this is a rough itinerary I would recommend (save Paris for another trip):

Fly into Rome
3 nights on the Amalfi Coast (day trip to Capri or see Pompeii & Herculaneum)
4 nights in Rome.
Train to Orvieto.
See Orvieto, then rent a car and spend 4 days touring hilltowns of Umbria and Tuscany, staying in an agriturismo in the countryside as your base.
Return the car to Florence.
Train from Florence to Venice on the Eurostar Italia.
3 nights in Florence.
2 nights in Venice and fly home.

You may re
Jul 25th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Correction to my typo: Spend the 3 nights in Florence, first. Then train to Venice.
Jul 25th, 2004, 12:34 PM

With the cities you're proposing to see, geographically it would be best to start in the Amalfi Coast area and then just work your way north, or start in Venice and work your way south. You can fly into Naples, which would be the best logistical connection for starting the Amalfi Coast area, but I'd recommend just flying to Rome and adjusting to Italy there, without letting Naples be your welcoming to Italy. Naples is not for the faint of heart. Accordingly, I recommend this itinerary:

(I personally don't like Venice, so please keep that in mind when you read my proposed itinerary.)

Day 0: Leave USA
Day 1: Arrive Rome
Day 2: Rome
Day 3: Rome
Day 4: Travel to Amalfi Coast area (stay in Sorrento or Vico Equense for best logistical connections to everywhere), A.C.
Day 5: A.C.
Day 6: A.C.
Day 7: Travel to Florence, Florence
Day 8: Florence area
Day 9: Florence area
Day 10: Florence area
Day 11: Florence area
Day 12: Travel to Venice, Venice
Day 13: Venice
Day 14: Return to USA

If you can do 16 days, I'd add a day each to Rome and A.C. The longer you can spend in each area, the less schlepping you'll be doing. While you say that you want to see lots of things briefly rather than a few things in-depth, spending half the trip traveling, with no chance to just stop and pause for a day here and there, will wear you out. Set aside at least two whole days to do absolutely nothing (they don't have to be 2 consecutive days).

I gave a lot of time to the "Florence area", becuase that will give you a chance to go out into the country and see the real Italy. To go exploring Tuscany and Umbria, you need to rent a car (be prepared to drive a manual transmission or pay molto for an automatic).

If you are flying Delta, there's a non-stop flight from Venice to JFK. Otherwise, all flights out of Venice will require a change in a major Europena city (Rome, Milan, Paris, etc.) and require leaving around 6:00-7:00 AM to meet the appropriate connecting flight back to the USA.
Jul 25th, 2004, 01:25 PM
ira

Hi erica,

Good advice from panucci.

With 2 weeks, I would fly into Venice and out of Naples.

Venice 3 days
Florence 5 days
Naples 2 days
Amalfi Coast 4 days

From Florence I would daytrip to Siena.

I realize that I have left out Rome, but I think you should decide between Rome or the AC and not try to do both.

Leave Paris for another trip. You should spend at least a week there.

You might find my trip report helpful.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044
Jul 25th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Have you seen my sample itineraires?
Click on my name for ideas.
Jul 25th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Just returned from my 2nd trip to Italy. My first was the major city, historic sites visit: Venice (2 nights, flew into Milan & took Alitalia to Venice), Florence (2 nights), Rome (3 nights), then flew to Paris (4 nights). Like you we are not that into art/architecture but enjoy learning and history. We were able to visit all the sites we wanted to except for Versailles, with advance reservations for the Uffizi in Florence.
Remember you lose a day going there & spend much of the 1st day recovering from the flight.
This year's trip was 2 nights Lake Como leaving in the afternoon, 2 nights Milan leaving in the morning, 2 nights Cinque Terra to allow beach time and hiking, stop in Pisa and then on to Florence and a bike trip in Tuscany, visiting Chianti region, hill towns. Basing yourself in Florence gives easy access to the rest of Tuscany and to an amazing city.
We use trains to get from city to city. Very easy, convenient; less stressful than driving; never felt the need for a car.
I am saving Amalfi Coast and Pompeii for a cooler month and another trip.
The best meals by far (& most expensive) on our trips in '01 & '04 were at Il Cibreo in Florence. Highly recommend the dining experience at the restaurant (reserve in advance).