Itinerary update and request for help with side trip from Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finalized our Christmas/New Year's flights and accommodations and find we will have more days in Munich than I originally thought. We (myself, daughter 14 and son 23) will arrive in Munich on 12/16 and fly home on 1/3. Our time will be spent as follows:
Munich 12/16- 12/23 (arrive from US early morning, get settled in our apartment and wander around to stay awake! Leave Munich on morning train for Salzburg on 12/23)
Salzburg 12/23-12/27 (leave during the day for Vienna on 12/27)
Vienna 12/27 - 1/2 (leave afternoon for Munich overnight for departure 1/3. Our airline does not fly in/out Austria so we need to backtrack to Munich. It's ok, children are looking forward to another train ride!)
I would like to take 2 nights of our Munich time and travel out of the city. I will rent a car (have decided this after much reading and know the train will be convenient but would like to go by car). Our apartment is quite reasonable so I don't mind paying for other accommodations while we are away from it. I am considering Fussen, Rothenburg or Regensburg. I would like to experience a smaller town and see some of the countryside. We will be visiting the Christmas markets in Munich and Salzburg and I am wanting to go to Augsburg as I think that market sounds wonderful with the angels, so other markets are not so important. I am drawn to the Night Watchman's Tour in Rothenburg. Can you tell I am like a kid in a candy shop - I can't make up my mind! I know the ultimate decision is mine to make but I am seeking advice from those who have gone before me. I am open to suggestions of other places I haven't thought of as well. Thanks, and please feel free to slap my hand if I am trying for too much!
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 08:03 PM

We had a Christmas holiday in Bavaria a few years ago, and it was wonderful, so I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go in that area. I really liked Rothenburg - its Christmas market, nightwatchman's tour, walking along the ramparts...On a daytrip from there we also enjoyed wandering around nearby Dinkelsbuhl, which is also very atmospheric. Augsburg is a city, and quite busy in comparison, a different atmosphere. The old centre of Fussen is quite pretty, but its main benefit is being so close to the two schlosses - Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 08:32 PM

Sounds like a wonderful trip. We did something similar by renting a car in Munich and driving to Rothenburg - we loved the town. Also did the Night Watchmens tour, very informative & fun. We stopped in Dinkelsbuhl for lunch & a quick walk around the town on the way. We stayed at the Gotisches Haus Hotel in Rothenburg - great location in town & best bathroom of the trip. We did a day trip from Rothenburg to Bamberg to do the brewery walk.

http://www.historik-hotel-gotisches-...php#height_321

We did the segway tour in Munich and everyone loved it - got to see some different parts of the city. I would love to go back and visit the Christmas markets.
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies - Rothenburg seems to be in the lead right now! Thanks txhomes for the segway tour suggestion - that sounds fun and I wouldn't have thought of it.
Old Sep 21st, 2014, 08:52 AM

Munich has something like 19 different Christmas markets, 3 that I can think of within a stone's throw from Marienplatz. Rothenburg is fun and you will enjoy your visit there. I would opt for Fussen over Augsburg or Regensburg. The Christmas markets mostly close down about 2 pm on Christmas eve. I'm not sure but that is probably true in Vienna also.

Be sure to go to the Christmas eve mass at the cathedral in Salzburg, it is very special with big crowds, lots of Mozart and then a candle lit quartet with guitar singing Silent Night. Then the cathedral bells toll to welcome Christmas and send you on your way as all the other churches answer the cathedral with their bells.