Itinerary too ambitious? Input welcome.

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary too ambitious? Input welcome.

We're in France for 2 weeks in Sept. (10-24)and having a bit of trouble with a reasonable itinerary. Paris, staying at Le Saint-Beuve for 5 nights, then taking the TGV to Avignon, car rental there, and the balance of the time split among Provence, Nice and Grenoble. Return car to Lyon, TGV back to Paris and home on the 24th. We're not young (sorry to report) but game! Would our time after Provence be better spent in the Fr. Alps or the Riviera? Help, please.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I would nix the Grenoble part & get some "Alps" from Nice. Perhaps finish your trip in Aix, turn in the car there, and take the TGV directly to the CDG airport if our flight leaves later in the day. If it leaves before noon, take the TGV to Dijon, stay overnight, & next morning take the TGV directly to the airport.

I would not recomment Provence, Nice & surrounding countryside, and Grenoble in 8 days. Perhaps check to see if you can get to the Paris airport directly & quickly from Grenoble, and do that instead of the Dijon thing.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:21 PM

I have to agree with StuDudley, skip Grenoble and go for the Alps. Grenoble is a nice city, but the Alps are stunning. I've spent the day in Chamonix and can't wait to get back to the Alps.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Funny. My very first trip to France, we flew into Lyon and did a day trip to Grenoble. We also did Avignon, Nice, Dijon, and Paris. For a couple years, I thought I HAD SEEN the Alps in Grenoble. Then I saw the real Alps. What a surprise!
Follow Stu's advice, muskoka. He "knows of what he speaks!"
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

That sounds like a much better idea, StuDudley. I will rejig the itinerary to reflect a more relaxed pace (my S.O. is the grasshopper!): base ourselves in Arles to drive around to some of the towns and then spend some time in St.-Paul de Vence. Instead of dropping the car in Lyon, Aix will work. We can still get in the alpine foothills (we've been to the Swiss Alps). Thanks for your help.