Itinerary review needed

May 12th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary review needed

I would need some advice on my itinerary below.. Is this feasible? Would you suggest if I should get a railpass? and should i also get a cross country passes?

I am starting to look at accommodations and I am going crazy. any recommendations on B&B in each locations? I am travelling with my husband. we want to stay near train station as we are not driving. anything below $150 is nice. Any recommendation?

30 May – arrival ard 705am in Rome <3 D 3N
2 June – move off via train to Naples < 2D 3N
5 June – train back to Rome and fly to Amsterdam < 2D 3N
8 June – overnight train down to Prague < 2D 2N (departing 1901pm?)
11 June – overnight train down to Venice < 1D 1N (departing 1714pm?)
13 June – train down to Florence <3D 4N
17 June – train back to Rome and fly back home (departing 2240pm)
May 13th, 2013, 04:18 AM

Obviously you already have air tickets in and out of Rome, but are you already locked into air tickets for that Rome to AMS flight? Because even if you want to leave Italy to see these other places, I think you should bundle your Italian travel together as much as you can and replace those back to back overnight train jaunts with air flight to cover the geography.

Also, is there anything you are willing to part with for this trip? 1 day in Venice in June is pretty unrewarding for all the effort you are making to get there. Likewise Prague. If you have very specific things you want to see in Naples, great, but if the idea of spending 3 nights there is to use it as a launching pad for day trips to Pompei and Capri, then I hope you have huge enthusiasm for doing these things rather than including them because everybody else does so you feel you ought to.

Just can't tell what your priorities are.

I would also recommend that you not stay near train stations, especially in Naples.
May 13th, 2013, 04:34 AM

Stevewith makes some very good suggestions. I agree that you should not stay close to train stations in many places (e.g. Rome and Naples) as these areas are often less attractive and pleasant than other parts of cities.

I think I would consider skipping Naples on this trip and add a day to Rome and 2 days to Venice. Fly from Rome to Amsterdam.
May 13th, 2013, 05:58 AM

Have you already booked those overnight train trips?
May 13th, 2013, 07:57 AM

It is very last minute to find accommodations for late May, early June. Have you looked at www.venere.com and/or booking.com?
May 14th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi all
No, I've not book the flight from Rome to AMS and not the overnight trains too. I have not figure out if I should get a railpass for it or jus buy the ticket directly online without a pass.

Mainly, our priorities are see as much as we can. This is our first time to Europe. We want to see the main places. Since we are in Rome.. and ppl are saying Naples/Sorrento are beautiful so we are travelling south instead of jumping on the fly. We arrived in Rome after 15 hours of flight and we have to spend 8 hours in the airport if we fly directly via easyjet to AMS. My hubby wants to visit AMS. hence we decided to stay in Rome. Start with Rome and travel a loop back. Prague is more of on the way down and again many have said it was beautiful. If not, any other place would you suggest? Are the overnight trains better than flying from AMS to Prague and fly down to Venice?

Any inputs and suggestions are very much appreciated. I am actually very lost..
May 14th, 2013, 05:29 AM

Like many first timers it seems you think that by visiting many cities you are seeing lots. What you are doing is eating into time you could be seeing things by wasting alot of time in logistics of travelling to these places.

If you estimate 1/2 day lost to packing, checking out, getting to the train station/airport, waiting to get on train/plane, traveling then doing it all in reverse before you can even start to see anything in that city that eats up about 4.5 days of your vacation that could be spent on seeing things.

Prague and Venice appear to be your outlyers. I would drop them and add the time to your other locations to make better use of your time and money. This is what I would do:

May 30 – land and immediately take the train to Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast
May 31 – Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast
June 1 – Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast
June 2 – Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast
June 3 – Fly Naples to Amsterdam
June 4 - Amsterdam
June 5 - Amsterdam
June 6 - Fly Amsterdam to Venice
June 7 – Venice
June 8 - Venice
June 9 - Venice to Florence by train
June 10 – Florence
June 11 - Florence
June 12 - Florence
June 13 – Florence to Rome via train
June 14 - Rome
June 15 - Rome
June 16 – Rome
June 17 – Rome and fly home

It takes a bit of effort to get to Naples/Sorrento/Amali Coast so you may as well spend time there to see the amazing sites and views!

Hope this helps!
May 14th, 2013, 05:31 AM

I don't see any overnight train from Prague to Venice that doesn't require a couple of changes in the night or part of it by bus.

I would drop Prague as it's just not convenient and you aren't allowing enough time in some of the Italian cities to see things. One day in Venice really is not enough. You only have

It's not practical to try to reach your departure flight on the day it departs. There could be train strikes, etc. You need to end your trip in Rome.

If AMS is a must, I would train to Florence upon arrival. Spend a few days, train to Venice, spend a few days, fly Alitalia to AMS (I see flights for 100€ next month). Spend a few days in AMS and fly to Naples (Transavia), visit Naples and train to Rome for your last few days.

I think your biggest mistake in this itinerary is having all cities and none of the smaller hill towns or countryside in Italy.
May 14th, 2013, 09:15 AM

I agree that the best plan is to go to Florence immediately upon landing in Rome, and proceed as outlined by kybourbon above.

Search this Thread