Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Recommendations - Croatia and Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I will be visiting Dubrovnik, Croatia for a friend's wedding next July - I am planning to arrive in Dubrovnik 2 days before the wedding to attend a pre-wedding dinner, but aside from that, I wanted to get ideas on potential itineraries. Not many of my friends have been to Croatia, so I'm trying to get an idea of how long to spend in each city, other cities to visit (I'd like to visit a few more cities while on the trip) - I was thinking potentially Greece or Italy, as I haven't been to either. I have approximately 2 - 2.5 weeks to work with.

Any ideas? Recommendations or things/ cities to consider? And how long do you recommend I spend in each city given my timeframe? Thank you!
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM

We spent 2 weeks just in Croatia. We flew into Zagreb from Paris and then flew to Dubrovnik, spent 4 days there. We picked up a car, drove to Split (actually stayed in Trogir) for 2 days, ferried to Hvar for 3 days, then drove to Plitvice Park for one day, Rovinje for 3 days then back to Zagreb. That was a good pace for us....cannot imagine traveling to Greece in that same time frame and not feeling very rushed.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 04:40 AM

I would skip Greece this time. If you drive, you could head north from Dubrovnik, see Plitvice on the way, and see a bit of Italy/Slovenia, depending on your desired pace.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM

Also it's not straightforward to get to Greece from Croatia. All the flights to Athens seem to go by way of Germany. They're long flights with several changes.

Instead consider spending some time in Slovenia. I wish we could have made it there on our trip to Croatia.

Or there's a ferry from Istria (Pula, Rovinj or Porec) to Venice. Or from Piran in Slovenia to Venice. Always good to go to beautiful Venice -- though it's crowded in July. You could fly home from there.

We loved Croatia, espcially the Dalmatian coastline. Many islands, nice little waterfront towns. And Plitvice is very beautiful.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM

We spent ten days in Croatia and could have spent way more. It's so-o-o-o-o beautiful. We did a trip on a sailing boat with the Katarina Line and would recommend it very highly, if it fits in with your schedule. The lovely crew of five took us (20 passengers) to Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik, Sipan, Korcula and Makarska, and the accommodation was comfortable, if a bit basic. It was a terrific way of seeing the Dalmatian Coast.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM

We spent 9 days in Croatia last summer which was short. you definitely can spend many days in this LOVELY country. We concentrated on Zagreb, Dubrovnik, Split, and Plitvice Lakes area. I'd go agin in a heartbeat.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have said, either spend all the time in Croatia or maybe work your way towards Italy which isn't far from the north of Croatia (you go through a bit of Slovenia). Piran is on the coast of Slovenia, and is lovely. You could spend a day or two there. Rovinj and Opatija in Croatia are both lovely but very different from each other. Maybe 2 or 3 days in each, there is not much to do there but we enjoyed walking, exploring and eating. Rovinj has a very Italian feel as it was once part of the Venetian empire and Opatija - on the other side of the country - is like Austria, with grand old hotels and cake and coffee shops like you see in Austria.

If you haven't booked your flights, you could fly into Dubrovnik and make your way north, flying out of Trieste in Italy.

Kay