Athens to Dubrovnik

Nov 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Athens to Dubrovnik

Have been unable to find a convienent, inexpensive way to get from Athens to Dubrovnik. Split would be OK. Any thoughts? Thanks Richard
Nov 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM

It does seem that none of the cheap airlines fly this route. The only thing I can suggest is flying to another nearby country. I checked Athens to Trieste, which is close to Croatia (though a long way north of Dubrovnik) and couldn't find any flights there either. There are ferries between Italy and Croatia, perhaps you could try to get there first?

Someone with more knowledge of the area may know of buses?

Good luck
Kay
Nov 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM

I don't know of any buses, but my guess is that it would be a difficult and interminable trip if there is one, with many transfers and layovers. Travel in the Balkans is still very laborious and difficult. Frankly, I'm not sure there's an inexpensive way to get to Croatia from anywhere. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. Anyone?
Nov 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM

I did a bunch of checking for someone not too long ago, and I also could not find any way to go directly from Greece to Croatia. It's Greece to Italy to Croatia, as near as I can figure.
Nov 15th, 2009, 04:46 AM

There is no easy way to get from Greece to Croatia. One can fly from Athens to Rome, train to Bari and the ferry to Dubrovnik. Driving from Greece to Croatia would take a much longer time and the roads are not very good. No rental company will allow a car to go from Greece to Croatia, so it is public transportation.
May I strongly suggest that you make a trip to Croatia another trip. There is much to see, we have some very dramatic landscape. The Dalmatian coast consists of 1185 islands, only 65 of them are inhabited
Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik
Nov 15th, 2009, 06:03 AM

I agree with the suggestion of Dubrovniktravlady...do Croatia on its own.

A year ago, we wanted to combine France/Croatia and although it is possible with some of the low-cost airlines,the trip becomes so complicated; firstly not all airlines start service before mid-July and secondly some airlines involved overnighting in another country, it was just not worth it. Going direct was extremely expensive...more than our transatlantic fares.

So next year, we will just do Croatia alone and based upon my ongoing research, even 3.5 weeks is not enough to have a sample of what the country offers.JMO.
Nov 15th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you 'everyone'. I thought it was going to be difficult. Our other options are Lake Como [via Milan] or Barcelonia. Easy non-stop destinations by 'air' from Athens. We have been to both places, but not north of Barcelonia. Will see what my daughter and husband suggests. No decisions until June. Travelady, Croatia is high on our list to visit. Thanks again Richard
Nov 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Easyjet fly from Milan (Malpensa) to Split and Dubrovnik.

At the moment flights in July are around 20 euros one way including taxes etc but that's carry-on price. Bags cost a further 11 euros each flight.

Athens to Milan Malpensa are offered at 37.99 euros inc taxes.

Bear in mind that there are only a few seats offered at this price - as they are sold then the price increases, so it pays to book early. These flights have only just gone on sale.
Nov 15th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi Julia; Thanks, I had seen the flight from Athens to Milan for 57 US dollars on Kayak. But not to Dubrovnk. Went to the Easyjet.com site. They do show the [from] Milan [to] Dubrovnik, but unable to get any further on pricing or dates. Perhaps an e-mail will help. Richad
Nov 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM

When I look at the easyjet.com and the easyjet.co.uk sites and enter a random date of 15th July I get the prices up on screen.

They fly this route Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. So no actual flight on 15th, but the planner/calendar comes up anyway on the 3-day and the 14-day view screens.