Itinerary Recommendations: Barcelona-Pyrenees-Northern Spain-Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate recommendations on my itinerary from those familiar with the titled areas of Spain above. About us:

1. Family of four (45M; 48F; 15F; 12M);
2. Dates: Jun 4-18 (inclusive travel dates; excludes flights). Will be renting a car--Picking up in Barcelona, dropping off in Madrid;
3. Interests: Scenery/outdoors, art/architecture, food/wine. Enjoy more out-of-the-way cities/sites, however, realize that we need to brave the crowds in order to see the museums/sites in the big cities (Prado, etc.).

Questions:

1. Is the following itinerary too busy for 15 days? Will we be spending too much time driving in the car instead of enjoying the villages and sites? Are there noticeably large distances between stops?
2. How distinct are the various sections of the Pyrenees (Catalonia, Aragon, Navarra)? Is the proposed itinerary including five days of much of the same (mountain/valley villages)?
3. What are we missing by excluding the Pyrenees villages in Navarra (Isaba? Roncal? Roncesvalle?)
3. Other suggestions for the itinerary?

Days 1-3: Barcelona
Day 4: La Seu D'Urgell
Day 5: Val d'Aran, Vielha
Day 6: Taull, Parc d'Aiguestortes i Estany
Days 7-8: Torla, Monte Perdido
Days 9-10: San Sebastian
Day 11: Bilbao
Days 12: Abalos
Days 13-15: Madrid and AVE back to Barcelona

Thank you for your input.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 12:47 PM

I would spend at least a couple of nights in the Val d'Aran and two in the Rioja. San Sebastian and Bilbao need more time.

And try to fly back from Madrid instead of returning to Barcelona.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM

Have you driven in Spain before?
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

No, have not driven in Spain.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Don't not attempt to drive in the cities.
Parking in cities is very expensive.
Have an IDP.
The first steps are ok* then you have a huge trip down to Madrid. Why not head back to BCN? Or drop the car off in The Basque country?

* by that I mean not many kms from one location to another thus giving you time to explore. Just pack lightly and ensure you can carry luggage to and from hotels and car, with ease. I am not a fan of itineraries with one night stops, but these short distances my make it work.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 09:40 AM

The drive from Barcelona to La Seu D'Urgell is easy and picturesque, as is the drive up to the Val d'Aran.

Driving in San Sebastian isn't too bad, but check the map to see where your hotel is and which exit to take into the city. It can be confusing. I recommend taking the road through Jaca and Pamplona to San Sebastian rather than crossing over into the Bearn to avoid the traffic and tolls crossing back into Spain at Hendaye/Irun. If you want to see Bearn and the Pays Basque, then cross back into Spain through Sare (the D-406 to the NA-4410, the old smugglers route), which will put you in Bera/Vera (Navarra), a few minutes from Hondarribia, on the N-121A.

Bilbao is busy, but not too difficult to get around. Follow the N-637 (the road to the airport) to the Guggenheim, which will put you right in the middle of the city. It's easier than taking the exit off the A-8.

You should read Maribel's Guide to the Rioja for information on what to see and do with your short time in Abalos.

If you are not planning on stopping in the Ribera del Duero after the Rioja (www.drinkriberawine.com), you could drop the car off in Burgos and take the train, saving having to drive into Madrid. There is a lot of truck traffic as you approach the city and some ongoing construction projects.

If not, then you should plan on dropping the car off at the airport (Terminal 4 using the R2) and taxi in from there, The fare is fixed at €30 and should be able to get you to your hotel in under 25 minutes. There is a service station at T4 open 24 hours/day.

http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/...ice%20stations
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 03:07 PM

My first driving experience was picking up the rental car, pulling up to a red light and getting rear ended by a truck. Welcome to Spain.

You have to watch for the flashers, aka speed cameras. I got busted a couple of years ago and it was a supreme hassle to resolve.