Itinerary opinion

Search

Itinerary opinion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary opinion

Hello everyone, I'm really excited about this trip I'm taking with a bunch of my friends to visit some friends over in Europe. I've thought about this itinerary and would like to get the opinion of those experienced ones.

23- 28 Dec: London
29-Dec London/Paris
30-Dec Paris
31-Dec Paris
1-Jan Paris
2-Jan Paris/Brugges
3-Jan Brugges/Brussels/Maastritch
4-Jan Maastritch
5-Jan Maastritch
6-Jan Maastritch
7-Jan Maastritch
8-Jan London
9-Jan London
10-Jan Return

Basically this is our plan, on January 2 we're planning on going to Brugges really early to get to know the city, the following day we´re planning on going over to Brussels and at the end of the day travel to Maastritch, were a friend lives, to sleep over there. The days we're in Maastritch we're taking small trips of one day to nearby towns in Germany and the Netherlands. We return to London on the 8th so we can depart by the 10th. How does that sound. Do you think is too rushed the brugges/brussels/maastritch day? Eager to hear your feedback. Thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is the order of places set in stone? Because London may not be the best place to spend that particular week.

Dec 25 is a Sunday so basically most things will be closed down Sat/Sun/Mon. And on Christmas Day itself EVERYTHING will shut including any sort of public transport.

You wouldn't have that problem in Paris or some other places --so maybe just stay a day in LOndon, head off to Paris on the 24th, do the rest of your itinerary - and then spend your last full week in London.

(Or better yet -- don't spend any time in London up front - go directly on to Paris.

Or better <U>BETTER</u> yet -- if you haven't already booked your tickets, fly open jaw into Paris and home from London)
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

It's not really set in stone, but part of the reason we are going around those dates is because a friend invited us for christmas. So I don't think it would be quite polite if we went and didn't spend chritmas with her. So at least we have to spend christmas in London. What do you think about the rest of the itinerary?
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM

@gotriz86, we were in London last Christmas Day and it is really not that bad as some Fodorites will lead you to believe. Life in London goes on, thanks to the brown people, us including. The white people might feel like everything stops but there are enough restaurants and pubs open. The taxi drivers work, public transportation doesn't.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM

OH - that is different. If you have a place to stay and transport then that is a GREAT time in London. (I assumed you were touring/staying in a hotel)

The plan looks fine. I'd personally want a bit more time in Paris, but you may have reasons to spend more time in Maastricht than in Paris.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM

I didn't see RainyDay's post --was commenting about you staying w/ a friend over the holiday.

"<i>Life in London goes on, thanks to the brown people, us including. The white people might feel like everything stops . . .</i>"

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read on here.

The typical visitor, brown, white, pink, blue or spotted, will not find any attractions open, few restaurants - some ethnic places are open, and some VERY high end Christmas dinners at £££££££. One is limited to a very few taxis and walking.

Walking in London is terrific on Christmas -- but if one is in London only a few (once in a lifetime) days, having nothing open for 2 days does put a crimp in the plans.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Ok so basically the 25th would be about staying at my friend's apartment and just moving to near places? what about the 24th? I've heard the 26th there's something called Boxing Day where there are crazy sales, similar to black friday. Could that be a good day to walk around Oxford street?
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Yes -- your friend will probably have plans and include you in teh festivities.

"<i>Could that be a good day to walk around Oxford street?</i>"

Not unless you like being crushed by hundreds of thousands of crazed shoppers. Sort of Black Friday on steroids

But it has been years since I lived in the UK and I am not positive how Boxing Day will be treated this year. W/ Christmas on Sun and the 26th on Mon - Things may still be closed on Monday and the big sales might not start until the 27th. Maybe one of the UK Fodorites will see this in the morning and clarify how the public holidays will work this year.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

So English take off one day before and one day after Christmas??
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:39 AM

'English' are very varied and some people will of course be working throughout the Christmas period.

Christmas Eve everything usually shuts early but at least up until early afternoon is more or less a normal day with shops open and people doing last minute stuff.

Boxing Day is a public holiday but the traditional start of the sales.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:01 AM

But the issue is w/ Christmas on Sunday and Boxing Day on Monday, will the sales be pushed back to Tuesday?? I'm not sure on that.

Londoners . . . . ??
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Drop a day from Maastricht and add it to Brugge/Brussels.
How are you getting back to London? Which day?
Remember the days are very short then - only about 8 hours of daylight.
Be prepared for weather problems. Unlikely but still possible. Bad weather can affect all forms of transport to varying degrees.

Make sure you have insurance, both for the transport aspects and for health care.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

What about the transportation between these countries? Getting back to London will definitely be by plane. Other than that we are thinking about moving in train. Is the Eurail pass a good idea? I'm really confused about the benefits of having the Eurail because I've read about the reservation fees. If someone could give me a clearer sight about the Eurail would be great. Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:33 PM

Aaah the Boxing Day Sales - such a melee, such fun! It's going to be tricky again this year, a little moreso even, as Christmas in on the Sunday, so a corresponding Bank Holiday (Public Holiday) will be on Tuesday 27th Dec, while the Boxing Day holiday will still be held on the actual day, ie 26ht. Which means shops will close around 5pm (some earlier) on 24th Dec, be closed 25th and should technically open again on 26th for the sales. Still with me? What they decide to do on the Tuesday is unsure AFAIK (haven't seen any info as yet - too soon for us to plan, but not helpful to those travelling I know.) A good indicator might be to keep an eye on the Harrod's website and see what they post for their 2011 opening times during the festive season.

As for public transport, again, going to be interesting to see what the union negotiates according to pay levels on 27th. Again, technically, all busses and the tube will not be running on 25th, and on 26th a limited service will run again (the Bank Holiday timetable), same for 27th. Taxis and mini-cabs will, as stated above, charge double fare on 25th.

And if it snows again, well....!
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 05:04 AM

I would drop a day or two in Maastritch and add them to Paris. If possible, I would try to reorder the trip, consolidating my time in London with all of your days there at the beginning of the trip and fly home from Paris or Brussels to avoid backtacking.