Reload this Page >

Holidays in LONDON and PARIS-what is OPEN

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:03 PM
andy

I am going to London and Paris on Dec.21==<BR>WHICH city should I do first?<BR><BR>What is open in London on Xmas?<BR>What is open on Boxing Day and what day IS Boxing Day?<BR>What is open in Paris between Xmas and New Years-Museumwise???<BR><BR>I want to make sure that restaurants are open somewhere on XMAS,BOXING DAY and any other holiday I am missing in either of the 2 cities- I will flip flop my vacation to accommodate the holidays...<BR><BR>Many thanks!!!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:07 PM
info

Hi Andy.. just enter Boxing Day in the 'search text'box and you will be able to find many threads on the subject.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Andy

Hi info-- I just read all the threads on Boxing Day,Xmas,New Years etc in LONDON--<BR><BR>IF everything is basically closed during that time, would it be better to use that 1/2 of my vacation and go to PARIS LAST--and do LONDON the 1st week before XMAS????<BR><BR>WHAT is doing in PARIS between XMAS and NEW Years? I will have spouse,and 2 kids-ages 20 and 16 with me...<BR><BR>The idea of NOTHING to do on a holiday is not my idea of a good vacation...<BR><BR>Need some major help from people who have done this combo of cities during this time of year. HELP!!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:14 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:49 PM
AR

Just be aware that there is NO public transport in London on Christmas Day. The trains etc. wind down on Christmas Eve and start up with a "Sunday service" on Boxing Day which is a public holiday in the UK.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 04:07 AM
James Steel

London is basically closed in Xmas. It’s the only time we get time off from the tourists and the goldfish bowl that is London. I my self (and most of England) will be at home stuffed full of Turkey and Port and will be watching the Morecambe and Wise 1976 Xmas special, and may be the Queens speech before falling a sleep.<BR>Seriously London is closed, I hear Paris is more interesting around Xmas.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:37 PM
info

OK Andy, now enter " Paris Christmas" in the search text box. <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Andy

OK- entered Paris Christmas--<BR>the search box has NO updated info on what is open on either Christmas or New Years- Museumwise,restuarants,sights-etc.<BR><BR>I have tried to contact the Tourist Bureau but they list NOTHING pertaining to holidays--<BR><BR>I was hoping FODORS was not going to be a scavenger hunt in trying to get some truely helpful info- <BR><BR>If anyone else has done LONDON and PARIS over CHRISTMAS-BOXING DAY and NEW YEARS- can you please post it as a reply to me--<BR><BR>Many thanks

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 04:35 AM
xxxxx

Have you compiled a list of a few attractions that you would like to see in Paris and a list of a few restaurants that you might like to try? <BR>If so, why not just contact those places directly to see if they will be open on Christmas Day or New Year's Day?<BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Michael

My family went to Paris last year on Dec 24 for one week and had plenty to do and the time of our lives. On Dec 25 we went to Sacre Cour, Notre Dame , etc. This year we are going back , leaving for Paris Dec 20, staying till Dec 27 and then to London. The climate is okay some 30 degree days but just dress accordingly and bring an umbrella. My 9 and 11 year olds did fine and enjoyed every minute.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Andy

Michael- THank you for your kind answer-<BR>What hotel did you get decent rates at?<BR>You can email me direct at the address above--<BR><BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:32 AM
Karen

I found this site has some recommendations for restaurants open in London on Christmas Day. Here's the link:<BR><BR>http://www.toptable.co.uk/feature/christmasday2002.cfm<BR><BR>You can also book through the site up to about 4 weeks in advance.<BR><BR>Hope it's helpful to those of you in London during the 25th Dec.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:43 AM
judy

I read Michael's hopeful reply but I do not agree. I think the holidays are dull and grim in London and Paris. I suppose if it is your first trip EVER, seeing Paris then might be okay, but London is dead as a doornail. I lived there for years and always disliked the holidays. I would recommend either going in early January or spending Xmas at a great ski resort in Switzerland or Austria THEN doing Paris then doing London. Places like Zermatt are gorgeous even for non-skiers, St. Moritz is wonderful with lots of beautiful long walks available on frozen lakes, amazing shop and hotels that you could enjoy yourself in without ever going outside! I would do 5 days in St. Moritz, we stayed at the Kulm Palace which has a full spa in front of the lake with amazing views, black tie dining and gorgeous rooms. Then I would do New Years in Paris, BOOK RESTAURANTS NOW!!! seriously!!! then pick up January in London to hit the sales which are fantastic.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:53 AM
judy

Re hotels. You will need two rooms in each place obviously. It gets dark VERY EARLY at this time of year, by 4:30 or 5PM it will be pitch black. Also it doesn't get daylight until late in the morning. So I would not scrimp too much on hotels since you will be spending alot of time in them. I would try to select a major chain like Marriott or Hilton that offer pools, gym, etc. The Intercontinental in Paris which is right on Rue di Rivoli, is the only hotel in Paris with a health club. We got a very good rate there last summer and a room with a view of the full Seine, Louvre, etc. Tiny room but amazing view. Call the hotels DIRECTLY and negotiate. Paris is always very, very expensive but London will be cheap at this time of year and empty. The London Hilton, right on Hyde Park Corner, has huge rooms with views and a nice health club. You can walk to everything from there. Both hotels also have public rooms, restaurants, etc. where you can hang out a bit at down times. If you are determined to spend Xmas in London, try hard to find a friend who has family there so that you can wrangle an invitation to spend the holidays in someone's home.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 10:26 AM
Kim

We spent our honeymoon in London/Paris. London Dec 18-24, Paris Dec 24-31. Then went again to Paris this last Christmas with our 2 kids (10 & 7). We had a great time in both cities. Museums and theater in London, museums, shopping and restaurants in Paris. Yes, it does get dark early, but I think both cities are beautiful at night. And, I must say, that even with 2 children, we spent practically NO time in our rooms (okay, the honeymoon was a little different). With your kids being older, I'd worry more about finding a good price than a health club. But BOOK NOW, especially for Paris. We planned last year's trip around this time, and lots of the more popular, less expensive places were full.<BR>Good Luck, and Have Fun!!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:19 PM
Andy

Thanks Judy and Kim-- I have booked 2 rooms at the Mayfair Hotel near the Louvre on DEC.25-30....<BR><BR>Spoke to a limo driver and he said he was working as were all the taxis-<BR><BR>Spoke to French Tourist Authority and they also said everything is open- INCLUDING the Bateau Mouche down the Seine which is operating on regular schedule....<BR><BR>Was told there would be no problem getting dinner reservations as the French people's major holiday is Dec.24-our Christmas eve--<BR><BR>Still am going to London but only for 3 day prior to Paris--<BR><BR>figured we would spend Christmas day travelling to Paris and then have a 1/2 day to explore,ride the river cruise and have an early dinner-Ready to roll with high spirits on Dec.26===<BR><BR>Kids are super excited

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:07 PM
Scott

Im going to be in Paris on January 1. What will be open?