Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

[Itinerary] Need help creating itinerary for 22 DAYS 5 CITIES

[Itinerary] Need help creating itinerary for 22 DAYS 5 CITIES

Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 10:00 AM
  #41  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27,617
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes.
thursdaysd is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 10:02 AM
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 97,238
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Geneva and Lac Leman look appealing too but I'm worry about the expensiveness

I know everyone says that, but it doesn't have to be crazy expensive. Look at Vevey as a place to stay right on the lake. There are modest hotels available. And traditional cafes and smaller restaurants that don't break the bank. Easy to get there on the train.

May or may not fit in with your itinerary for this trip, but you don't need to avoid the entire country for fear of costs.
suze is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 10:29 AM
  #43  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with suze that Vevey is lovely and really not too bad price-wise. But I also think you will really enjoy Strasbourg and it will give you a feel for something a bit different from Switzerland. If you do end going to Strasbourg, I will just mention a couple of things. We stayed at a pretty good property there that is an "apartment hotel" called Appart'City Strasbourg Centre. It is not right in the center of the canals area but the tram stop is literally in front of the hotel and is only 1-2 stops from the "tourist central area". It is very well priced and might be a good solution for a group of six.

Also, be sure to notice the train station on your arrival- the architecture is spectacular!
jpie is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 10:30 AM
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 25,072
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's hard to figure out what makes sense without knowing the rest of the itinerary, how many days/nights in each place, where you'll end up and fly home from...

Before you base all the planning on Lauterbrunnen, you should check lodging availability for your dates in the room/bed configuration you want and in your budget range. Quad rooms can be hard to find, if that's what you prefer for you and the kids.
Jean is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 11:37 AM
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,577
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what you wrote in your post 19:






I read: Day 8:Train ride Paris - Lauterbrunnen, 4 hrs journey, by train, via Zurich - Interlaken.
that gives (without detour via Zurich): Paris L dp 10.17 - Lauterbrunen ar 16.25, 6 hrs 10 min journey, 2 train changes.

If you stop over at Dijon and go on after breakfast, you get:
Paris dp 10.17 - Dijon ar 11.57 (1 hr 40 min)
Dijon dp 8.37 - Lauterbrunnen ar 13.25 (4 hrs 50 min), 3 train changes
Total journey time: 6 hrs 30 min

Strasbourg is not along the direct Paris - Switzerland itinerary, but the whole journey time up to Lauterbrunnen is not longer than via Dijon:
Paris - Strasbourg: 1 3/4 hrs
Strasbourg - Lauterbrunnen: 4 1/2 hrs

It's up to you to decide whether it makes sense for you to stay 3 full days at Strasbourg.

As to accommodation prices, I second Suze and jpie.

I suppose you had a look at booking engines like airbnb, booking.com, etc.




Last edited by moderator8; Jan 23rd, 2020 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Fix coding
neckervd is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 02:07 PM
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 5,564
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://ciaobambino.com/destination/...mily-vacations I love Florence and there are many kiddos there. Glad you dropped Barcelona.
Macross is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 06:07 PM
  #47  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neckervd
That's what you wrote in your post 19:






I read: Day 8:Train ride Paris - Lauterbrunnen, 4 hrs journey, by train, via Zurich - Interlaken.
that gives (without detour via Zurich): Paris L dp 10.17 - Lauterbrunen ar 16.25, 6 hrs 10 min journey, 2 train changes.

If you stop over at Dijon and go on after breakfast, you get:
Paris dp 10.17 - Dijon ar 11.57 (1 hr 40 min)
Dijon dp 8.37 - Lauterbrunnen ar 13.25 (4 hrs 50 min), 3 train changes
Total journey time: 6 hrs 30 min

Strasbourg is not along the direct Paris - Switzerland itinerary, but the whole journey time up to Lauterbrunnen is not longer than via Dijon:
Paris - Strasbourg: 1 3/4 hrs
Strasbourg - Lauterbrunnen: 4 1/2 hrs

It's up to you to decide whether it makes sense for you to stay 3 full days at Strasbourg.

As to accommodation prices, I second Suze and jpie.

I suppose you had a look at booking engines like airbnb, booking.com, etc.
Oh my bad, I changed my destinations in Switzerland multiple times and forgot to changed the Paris to Lauterbrunnen train ride details which I took from Google Maps. To clarify, I do not want to go via Zurich.

Regarding accommodations, I have quick-scanned booking.com and airbnb for each destination to have a feel of the prices. Processes of actual booking will take much longer.
rickymorty is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 06:12 PM
  #48  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean
It's hard to figure out what makes sense without knowing the rest of the itinerary, how many days/nights in each place, where you'll end up and fly home from...

Before you base all the planning on Lauterbrunnen, you should check lodging availability for your dates in the room/bed configuration you want and in your budget range. Quad rooms can be hard to find, if that's what you prefer for you and the kids.
Please refer to my posts above (post #19) for my draft itinerary.

Since I'll traveling with my parents I plan to book two rooms and the older kid will stay with my parents whilst the younger one will stay with us.
rickymorty is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 06:26 PM
  #49  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suze I'll check out more prices before I make my final decision on Switzerland. Staying 3 full days in Oberland is locked in though.

jpie thank you for the great tip again. I've checked out the prices and some photos of Appart'City Strasbourg Centre. It seems like a top pick for us.
rickymorty is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 08:56 PM
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 25,072
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rickymorty
Please refer to my posts above (post #19) for my draft itinerary.
Pardon my confusion, but that post includes Florence and in a later (post #40) you say you've dropped Florence. #19 also doesn't include the possible days in either Dijon or Strasbourg...

BTW, if you're making a stop in Dijon or Strasbourg to "break up" the long train journey from Paris to Lauterbrunnen, have you noticed the train ride from Lauterbrunnen to Venice (or Peschiera del Garda) is about as long and involves multiple connections? Or is there another itinerary change I'm not aware of...?
Jean is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 09:06 PM
  #51  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 25,072
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Paris to Lauterbrunnen is 6 hours, 2 changes.
Lauterbrunnen to Venice is 7 hours, 3 changes.
Lauterbrunnen to Peschiera del Garda is 6 hours, 3 changes.
Jean is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 09:16 PM
  #52  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jean please see below our updated itinerary with Strasbourg added in between Paris and Lauterbrunnen.


rickymorty is offline  
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 09:19 PM
  #53  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean
Paris to Lauterbrunnen is 6 hours, 2 changes.
Lauterbrunnen to Venice is 7 hours, 3 changes.
Lauterbrunnen to Peschiera del Garda is 6 hours, 3 changes.
Yes, I'm now aware that Lauterbrunnen to Venice is a long train ride but I don't think there's a way around it unless we fly but that's also a lot of hassle too?
rickymorty is offline  
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 04:09 PM
  #54  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, IMO the really difficult part about your trip really is the Lauterbrunnen portion combined with using public transport and the fact that you are 6 people.

One thing that might make it easier would be to explore hiring a private driver van from Lauterbrunnen to Zurich and then fly to Venice. The site below claims that they can book a van for 6 people for around 290 Euros. Of course then you will have the cost of airline tickets but at least the flight is just 1 hour non-stop and if you shop around you can get tickets for just about 85 euros for an adult ticket-so let's say 600 euros for 6 people and 300 for the van.

Not that cheap-but if the van can pick you up and drop you door to door it might be worth it to you if you are committed to the Switzerland base.

You could also look at hiring the van/driver for the whole stretch of Lauterbrunnen to Venice by requesting a custom quote-I bet it would be under the 900 euros to get you to Zurich and then fly and even though it is still about a 6 hour drive, it might make your trip more enjoyable by being able to stop where and when you want, and not have to deal with airports, train changes, luggage etc.

https://mydaytrip.com/


Last edited by jpie; Jan 24th, 2020 at 04:30 PM.
jpie is offline  
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 09:02 AM
  #55  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,577
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FARES LAUTERBRUNNEN - VENICE

We cannot talk about fares as long as we don't know which kind of ticket/railpass the OP will buy for Switzerland.
Trenitalia offers discounted web tickets for the Italian leg (Domodossola - Venice) for 28 EUR/pax
A saver daypass for the Swiss leg would cost 29 USD
If the OP owns a Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card,, kids pay nothing for the Swiss leg.
The Bernese Oberland Pass would be valid up to Brig (only along the scenic line).
neckervd is offline  
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 10:14 AM
  #56  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes train would definitely be the cheapest-no doubt about that.

I was really responding to the fact that they will have to make 3 changes on that stretch with seniors, 2 kids-one who is a toddler and, I presume, a fair amount of luggage
jpie is offline  
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 05:03 PM
  #57  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neckervd
FARES LAUTERBRUNNEN - VENICE

We cannot talk about fares as long as we don't know which kind of ticket/railpass the OP will buy for Switzerland.
Trenitalia offers discounted web tickets for the Italian leg (Domodossola - Venice) for 28 EUR/pax
A saver daypass for the Swiss leg would cost 29 USD
If the OP owns a Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card,, kids pay nothing for the Swiss leg.
The Bernese Oberland Pass would be valid up to Brig (only along the scenic line).
I'm planning to buy a 4 days in 1 month Eurail Global Pass for 4 adults and the 2 kids get to ride free of charge. Last time I checked the costs is around $265 per adult. And as I understand, the Euro Rail Global Pass will cover our main routes from Paris > Strasbourg > Interlaken > Venice. We expect to purchase point-to-point tickets for short trips within Oberland region.

Would that plan be most cost-effective for our situation?
rickymorty is offline  
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 02:36 AM
  #58  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,577
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EURAILPASS:
according to https://www.eurail.com/en/deals/eura...ts-switzerland
you will have to pay the following fares/pax within the Bernese Oberland:

Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen RT 12 USD
Lauterbrunnen - Jungfraujoch RT 140 USD
Lauterbrunnen - Maennlichen RT 46 USD
Lauterbrunnen - Schynige Platte RT 59 USD

In France and Italy, you will have to pay compulsory seat reservation fees on TGV and Freccie trains.
You may have a look at Eurail Tickets - Eurailpass Supplements
I don't know whether 9 year old kids travel for free in France and Italy if their parents are Eurailpass holders.



Last edited by neckervd; Jan 26th, 2020 at 02:40 AM.
neckervd is offline  
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 06:26 AM
  #59  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neckervd
EURAILPASS:
according to https://www.eurail.com/en/deals/eura...ts-switzerland
you will have to pay the following fares/pax within the Bernese Oberland:

Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen RT 12 USD
Lauterbrunnen - Jungfraujoch RT 140 USD
Lauterbrunnen - Maennlichen RT 46 USD
Lauterbrunnen - Schynige Platte RT 59 USD

In France and Italy, you will have to pay compulsory seat reservation fees on TGV and Freccie trains.
You may have a look at Eurail Tickets - Eurailpass Supplements
I don't know whether 9 year old kids travel for free in France and Italy if their parents are Eurailpass holders.
Thank you for the info.

I've checked the Eurail package, under 12 year old kids do get to ride for free if parents hold Eurail Global Pass.

Out of the 4 trips in Bernese Oberland, we intend to go from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken only. The other 3 trips we will not take. So I guess Eurail Global Passes give us good value.
rickymorty is offline  
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 07:36 AM
  #60  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,577
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you will go to Muerren, Wengen and Grindelwald only and not to the viewpoints. Right?
neckervd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -