Itinerary in Greece?

Search

Itinerary in Greece?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary in Greece?

Hi All -I am looking for advice on our proposed itinerary in Greece. My husband and I are traveling for a month this summer beginning in mid-June and ending in mid-july. We are going to Croatia the first week, and will spend the remaining three weeks in Greece. We love learning about culture and history, although of course we plan to enjoy the beautiful views and a bit of beach time. It is our first visit to both countries.

We are flying from the US to Dubrovnik, and will end our time in Croatia in Split, from where we will depart to Greece. In Greece we wish to visit Athens, the Peloponnese, where we plan to stay in Nafplio, and Crete. On Crete we want to visit the palace of Knossos, so I assume we will spend some days in Iraklion, but we also want to visit the beautiful city of Chania. We will return to the US from Athens. Any suggestions about the proposed itinerary in Greece, and the order in which to visit these places, considering we are arriving in Greece from Split and returning to the US from Athens, would be much appreciated. I would describe us as "slow travellers" who prefer to settle into a locale, get to know the local cafes and markets, and take day trips. Many thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 09:01 AM
kja

I'm sure you realize that 1 week is very little for Dubrovnik through Split, particularly if you are slow travelers.

I'm not a slow traveler, but even so, you might find some useful information in my trip report, as I visited all the places you mention in Greece.
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you You certainly did receive some great advice and ideas from fellow Fodor members. I appreciate your sharing.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 10:09 AM
kja

I did get some GREAT advice, so you might also want to look at my planning threads, which are linked into the TR. The trip report itself is quite long, but it is searchable, and if it helps, the section on Crete begins with post # 48, the section on Nafplio and the Peloponnese begins with post # 137, and the section on Athens begins with post # 181.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 02:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would only spend one night in Heraklion to visit Knossos. We spent two weeks in Chania, a wonderful small city. We were encouraged to visit Loutro on the south coast for a few nights which also was a great experience.