Itinerary HELP! West Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arriving in Shannon on September 1 with my mother and plan to spend the first night in Ballyvaughn (Hyland Burren Hotel) and then head West for a week exploring Connemara, Clifden, Westport and other quaint villages. We will return to Shannon for return trip to the US on Friday, September 8th. We would love also to spend one night on the Aran Islands, from what I hear it's too special to miss. I am wondering if it would be feasible to find an accomodation somewhat central to the Connemara area and do day trips from there or alternatively spend the nights in various little towns like Clifden, Roundstone, etc.

Any suggestions would be most helpful. Can't wait for the trip but need direction on the best way to make the most of our time and don't want to miss out on any of the pub life either!!! Thank you!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Hello..I am sure you will get many suggestions. Here is one:
We stayed in Kilkiernan, Carna, Connemara a few years ago at: http:www.connemara.net/Hillside/. It is central, and near to both the ferry and the airport to Inismor. We have done both and prefer the plane over. It is fast (10 minutes), and was only $10 more than the ferry. We arrived earlier than the ferry, and had Dun Aengus all to ourselves. It was also central for the whole of the Connemara. You will love this area, it has replaced my love of The Dingle.
Hope this helps...Helen
For some reason, it is double posting the website. use either.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM

A week in Connemara? You can't go wrong no matter what you choose, so relax.

That said, you could probably do day trips best by staying in Clifden part of the time and Westport part of the time. From those two bases you can see a lot of the region. Westport will give you easy access to Achill Island, Croagh Patrick, Ceide Fields. From Clifden you can easily see Kylemore Abbey, lesser known islands like Innishboffin, and just hug the coast north and south of Clifden for some of the best beaches you'll encounter in Ireland.

Also, you could take the ferry to the Aran Islands on your way from Ballyvaughn (perhaps spending your second night there, it's just around the bay so to speak after you pass Galway City).

Finally, make sure you spend your last night near Shannon; you don't want to have a long drive before your flight, especially as you may be standing in the line at customs for 2-3 hours before your flight. Bunratty is a good choice (10 minutes south of the airport).

Have a great time!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Dear Laoghaire and Beach Dweller:
Thank you both for your replies. I'm finding it difficult to gauge how long it will take to drive from various towns in the West. Is there a way to get a better idea of the distance between towns, etc? Westport sounds like a great place as well as Clifden so I think I will take your suggestions to heart. Do either of you have suggestions for accomodations on the Aran Islands? Thanks again!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM

hiltonk, go to AA Route Planner and you can get some very good info on how long a trip will take and the best route. I've stayed at Hyland's, try to have a room away from the street. The one's at the top of the hotel are newer and you would not get street noise. There isn't a view. The hotel is very friendly and the food is good. I'd second Clifden for day tripping or really any of the lovely villages around. You'll have a wonderful trip. Joan
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Joan,

Thanks for the suggestion about the Hylands. I had previously requested a room with a view of the Burren, I will make that change. Also, I'll check out the AA Route planner - that will be most helpful! Thanks for your suggestions, I know we will have a great time.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM

I also recommend Hylands. It is also good for food - in the bar. When in Ballyvaughan also visit Monks - walk out the road towards pier with sea on your right. Monks is a bar and they do food as well and very good seafood.
Don't miss O'lochlainn's pub on your left as you head towards Monks. It is a gem.
Not open until 9.00. every evening.
They do not have music but have a great collection of whiskey! Music sometimes in other pubs in the village or in Monks.
You can check out flights to Aran with www.aerarann.ie
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:12 PM

should have said www.aerarannislands.ie