Itinerary help - Vienna, Salzburg, Budapest late November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2023, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I am working on a trip to these three great cities in late November. It’s the only opportunity I have to visit from the US this year (Nov 23-Dec 12) and I realize there are a lot of things closed because it’s not really “winter” yet and all the “summer” sites close at the end of October. I am flying into Salzburg and home from Budapest but don’t have the amount of days at each town broken down. I know Christmas markets will be up. My husband is not necessarily Mr Christmas but we are still looking forward to them. Do you have suggestions for me on how to build out my itinerary knowing that so many of the sites are closed?
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 06:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the great museums will still be open.

I'd start by going to the websites of the three cities to see what the offering for each place is during your potential stay. Don't kick yourself to find out that a festival has just finished just before you got there.

I'd also scribble down the things you like to do on holiday and let us know so we can guide you.

Generally, on fodors, the more you tell us about what you want, think "the best question possible" is the most helpful to us and hopefully you.

Given the length of day at that time you need to think about short days. In Budapest please take advantage of the spas, they are so much of the local culture and easy to plan for. If nothing else, when it rains you can still enjoy an outdoor spa and they can always be your secret plan B if plan A fails.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saint Nicholas Day will occur while you are in Austria. But I do not know how outsiders would relate to its celebration:

https://www.stnicholascenter.org/aro...ustoms/austria

If you are in Vienna on a weekend, try to see the Kirche am Steinhof which is one of the high points of Otto Wagner architecture.