Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please critique my itinerary to Prague, Krakow. Budapest. Vienna and Salzburg in 15 days July/Aug 2006

Please critique my itinerary to Prague, Krakow. Budapest. Vienna and Salzburg in 15 days July/Aug 2006

Jan 30th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

I am about to book my flights to the above but before I do would welcome advice from you good people as to whether or not it is doable?

My proposed itinerary is:

Day 1 Jul 22 fly Belfast - Prague (arrive 10.25am)

2 nights in Prague a the Castle Steps hotel

Night 3 Jul 24 Night train to Krakow (departs 21.18 arrives Krakow 05.44am 25th)

July 25 2 nights in Krakow at Trecius Pension (visit Auschwitz & Wieliczka salt mines as well as the city)

Night 6 July 27 Night train to Budapest (departs 22.30 arrives 09.22am)

2 nights at City Matyas Hotel (tour Pest & Buda What else?)

July 30 Train to Vienna (arrive 18.45)

2 nights Pension Lerner (Visit the interesting places and hopefully attend either an opera or classical concert)

Aug 1 Train to Salsburg (arrive 15.52)

4 nights in Salzburg - I haven't found the right hotel as yet but want to go to 2 Motzart concerts and (hate to say it but I loved the movie) The Sound of Music Tour!

Also would like to day trip to Hallstatt and either Innsbruck or St Wolfgangsee.

Would like to splurge a bit on the Salzburg hotel (possibly a spa) any ideas?

Aug 5 fly home from Salzburg to Dublin (depart 18.55)

Nothing is a yet booked.

What do you think?

Thank you

Helen

Jan 30th, 2006, 02:10 PM
ira

Hi C,

I think that Krakow is an outlier, that it makes your visit more rushed than it need be, and arriving at 06:00 is ungodly.

However, if you really want to go, it looks like a good plan.

You might want to consider 2 nights in Hallstat and 2 in Salzburg.

Have a nice visit.

Jan 30th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Helen:

My family and I took a very similar trip in July 2005. We started with 2 nights in Prague (including jet lag from NYC), spent a week in a castle outside Vienna, then 2 nights each in Salzburg and Zell am See, then wrapped it up with 4 nights in Munich. Based on our experience, you may want to reduce Salzburg by 1 night and add 1 night to Prague. We found Prague to be a beautiful, livable, enjoyable city. Salzburg was great - don't get me wrong - but one more night in Prague would have been very nice. There is a nice restaurant with good food and great views half way up the funicular train toward the Petrin Tower (a 1/5 scale Eiffel Tower). When in Salzburg, I strongly recommend Bob's Sound of Music tour. It is in a minivan instead of a huge bus, and our guide was fabulous. And because of the smaller size tour, it's not just a SOM tour - the guide also shows you other places and discusses other events as well. We stayed in the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel (a nice less expensive alternative to the more expensive hotels in the Old Town, it is just the other side of the river from the Old Town). Friends did tell us that the Goldener Hirsch was top rate (and it's right in the middle of the Old Town). I also strongly recommend visiting the beer garden in a old monastery on the Old Town side of the river in Salzburg. Our guide (a local) gave us that tip, and it was a true "native experience." I speak a little German from high school (25 years ago) but all 4 of us managed to communicate well enough to order beer (in a large ceramic mug cooled by running water), pick out food, and sit underneath the shade of very old and very large chestnut trees. Have a wonderful time! If you are interested in the restaurant in Prague or the beer garden in Salzburg, leave me a post and I'll look through the receipts!
Jan 30th, 2006, 02:25 PM

If you have any interest in one of the traditional bath houses in Budapest, they're worth a visit. I went to the Gellert and loved it. Art nouveau splendor and a once in a lifetime experience.
Jan 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your quick reply,

Ira, Krakow is a must as I realy do want to visit Auschwitz, however, you have addressed the one problem I had - arriving in the early hours of the morning. I can change my route and fly into Krakow and out of Prague but the flight times are no as good. That might be better but will take an extra day or two (I will humour my mum and see if she will look after my dog for an extra few days).

I like your suggestion about spending a night in Hallstatt but it can only be 1 night as it is Mozart's year (love him to bits even if he did hate Salzburg)and do want to visit some of the wonderful concerts that are taking place in Salzburg.

Dave, Thank you for your suggestion of Bob's SOM tour will look that up. Sadly I hate beer (I am a wine drinker) but the beer garden sounds great. Do please give me the name of the restaurant in prague.

Guy, Gellert looks great - hate to sound a prude but is it single sex? Wouldn'd care if I was 30 years younger!

Revised Itinerary

3 nights Krakow

Night train to Budapest

2 nights Budapest

2 nights Vienna

1 night Hallstatt

3 nights Salzburg

Night train to prague via Munich

3 nights Prague

What do you think?

Thanks
Helen
Jan 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Helen:

The restaurant in Prague is called Nebozizek, and I just found its website, www.nebozizek.cz, with some nice photos and info. Bob's SOM Tours can be found at www.bobstours.com (they have several others in addition to SOM). I would also recommend 2 restaurants in Vienna: Plachutta, a Viennese steakhouse (www.plachutta.at); we ate at the Wollzeile location; we had a waiter who spoke English and had a great sense of humor - a good thing as we were a group of 15 - including 7 children. Also, check out Figlmuller - the famous home of the wiener schnitzel; I particularly enjoyed their Gurken Salat (cucumber salad with vinegar). In addition, we very much enjoyed one afternoon in a wine garden on the Danube River between Krems and Melk run by the Knoll Family called Loibnerhof, although I am sure there are many wonderful wine gardens in Wachau Valley outside Vienna. Finally, just in case you overcome your beer phobia, the beer garden in Salzburg is called the Augusstiner Brau. Your trip sounds wonderful - I wish we were going back soon, but we have much more of the world to explore before we start "doubling back." Have a great time.