Itinerary Help Please

Search

Itinerary Help Please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help Please

I've gotten a lot of great tips reviewing posts, it's nice to read firsthand accounts, but decided to see if my proposed itinerary holds up.

Travel summer of 2008 for 2 weeks. Taking my boys who will be 9 and 13. So, June, July or August. ( I know, advance planning).

Plan on doing an open jaw. Flying into Rome for 3 days. Take train to Venice spend 3 days. Figure there would be a travel day. From all the posts, I figure I can line up some nice places in both Rome and Venice.

Then, train to Lago Como for a week and leave out of Milano.

Sound doable?

Any recommendation for a home/hotel on Lago Como? I've read lots about enjoying Bellagio from a distance -- like across the lake, which is fine with me.

Should we rent a car -- or do we need to? My brother in law and I may want to play a round of golf, so yes?

Finally, I'm sure the kids will have plenty to do on Lake Como. I was thinking of a day trip to Switzerland -- can that be done?

Lots of questions, I know. But I'd like to get this right.Thanks in advance
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM

It sounds like a terrific trip. A week is quite a while on Lake Como, unless of course you're just looking to relax, enjoy some of the gardens, and just "be". Nothing wrong with that. The kids could wind sale if they want. I don't think a car is necessary. Great boat and train and bus options for getting around the lakes. Don't know about golfing myself.

I would highly recommend a train/post bus combination from Varenna through Chiavenna and on to the charming village of Soglio, perched magnificently in the Engandine Alps. Lots of good hiking. You can continue on by post bus to Sils or St. Moritz if you choose to. A very scenic journey.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Also, a day trip to Lugano would be fun. If you go, make sure you take the funicular to the top of Mount San Salvatore. It's a wonderful 2 1/2 hour hike down to the lovely lakeside village of Morcote. If you prefer not to hike, bus and boat options are available to get there. We had a very memorable lunch in Morcote on the water. Others have recommended the walk to Gandria, another picturesque little town.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:26 AM

I've been to Como three times,but a week there instead of more time in Rome or Venice???
Well,everyone is unique in their likes.
You won't need a car,unless you do a day trip as the poster above this mentioned.
If you are staying there a week,I'd stay in Bellagio.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Even Lugano is accessible by train and, I believe, bus.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. The main reason I was looking at a week on Como was renting a villa and was seeing weekly rates. I suppose I could negotiate 5 days. I like the idea of spending more time in Rome and Venice, thanks for the tip and the Lugano suggestion, too.

Any place really stand out in Bellagio? We may have 7 traveling, so I wanted something that could accommodate us all.