Itinerary Help- Norway Self Drive

Old Jul 10th, 2024, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help- Norway Self Drive

Hi all!!!

Here is what I have so far for my family - Hubby, 24, 21 year old sons, and me.
They dont like touristy stuff - want active trip - hike, bike, kayak, climb, whatever so we can move! Love history, culture, amazing food and the great outdoors!!

Fly into Oslo and out of Bergen
Renting a car for in between the cities (I know I have to pay the one way drop off rate - its factored in to my trip costs) and the trip is coming up fast - August
2 nights Oslo
2 nights Eidfjord
1 night Solvorn
2 nights? () Was trying to be near the Flam/Aurland region - but cant find anywhere to stay at all.
3 nights Bergen

I have all the hotels booked. Except the unknown 2 nights and 1 night in Solvorn. Everything but the total length of time of trip 10 nights and the flights are changeable/refundable.

Any suggestions on the piece I am missing? Should I rework the itinerary at all??
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 10:35 AM

We spent two nights at Nes Gard to join a kayak trip (6hrs) departing from Breheimsenteret, visited Solvorn on our way to Flam. Spent two nights in Loen to do Via Ferrata, cable car (lots of trails up there) and drive to see Briksdal glacier, extremely beautiful. Didn't do the tram in Flam, but the cruise to Gudvangen is wonderful (bus back to Flam).
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 04:32 PM

You might have problems in getting a room in Solvorn. When we were there, there was one expensive hotel and one moderate hostel. We were the last guests to get a room in the hostel. The hostel had bikes and was somehow connected with kayaking in the glacial lakes. I say somehow because I do not think that they rented kayaks and did not have a shuttle to go up in the mountains. With a car you could drive up to one of the noountain passes to hike around the area. Here's the next pass after Solvorn going to Lom.

Old Jul 11th, 2024, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Michael - not sure I totally understand your thoughts on Solvorn for the night.
Other feedback I got was a good base for the glacier...

Last edited by MiamiBeachMomma; Jul 11th, 2024 at 07:12 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 11:10 AM

I recall only two sleeping accommodations: the hostel and the hotel. Yes, it is reportedly a good base for the glacier, but you are not the only one to think so. Hence I wonder if you will find accommodations in that village without a reservation.
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The days are long. Enjoy them.
​​​​