Itinerary help Italy please!!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:53 PM
Patti

Itinerary help Italy please!!

I am planning a two week trip to Italy about the third week of September. I will be visiting family in Livorno for about 3-4 days but other than that, am open and have never been. I love art, coffee places, history, etc., so I am looking for suggestions. I also love wine and the countryside. There is so much to see, I don't know where to begin. Any help is appreciated.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:25 PM
meredith

well, for starters, if you love all those things, you're in the right country

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:33 PM
newt

I just planned a 11 day trip to Rome, Florence, Venice with advice from regulars on this site. Just search your destination cities in the little box on the top of this page and you'll see a ton of info. when you have a better idea of places you would like to visit, repost more specific questions and people will have better ideas for you. Good luck!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:35 PM
Vita

Will you be exploring any of Tuscany with your family? If not, that would be a good place to start. I'm assuming the 2 weeks includes the 3-4 days with family.

I'm not necessarily recommending it, but Livorno is very close to Pisa if you wanted to do a day trip there. If you'll have a car you could bounce around the vineyards in the Chianti region. Other people will probably have better suggestions for car itineraries. If you won't have a car, I would suggent basing yourself in Siena for a couple of days because it has the best bus system in the area other than Florence. San Gimignano is a nice hilltown to visit.

After Tuscany, you could ditch the car and stay in Florence for about 3 or 4 days, visiting the Duomo, Michelangelo's David and the Slaves at Accademia, Uffizi Galleria, etc.

Then another 4 or 5 days in Rome.

Enjoy!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:35 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Patti. Lots to see and do in bella Italia. Since you are in Tuscany I would stay central and include the rest of Tuscany and parts of Umbria. Try to include the fabulous Ligurian coast and one of the major art cites. Good luck !