Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flight schedule change means a 1.5 days in Zurich. What would you do?

Apr 1st, 2002, 11:33 AM
Mel

Hi. Well, a month before we leave on our Budapest-Vienna-Prague trip, I got a call that our flight from Prague to Zurich was cancelled, meaning we would have to leave Prague on a Saturday evening, and then fly back to the US on Sunday morning. Since that didn't sound like much fun, we opted to fly to Zurich Saturday morning and fly back to the US on Monday morning instead. As it turns out, a change to our outbound flight means we will also have a 6 hour layover in Zurich on the way to Budapest. We are planning on having breakfast and walking around Zurich when we arrive initially. Which brings me to my question: would you then stay in Zurich for those two nights before heading home? I have never been to Switzerland. I did read that Lucerne is only 1:20 away from Zurich airport. Is it possible to visit the mountains for only a 1.5 days? Any ideas? We are on a bit of a budget, which is why we picked Central Europe to start with (Vienna is a splurge).

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:51 PM
Barry

Hi Mel -

We just got back on the 19th from the same itin.... except we hit Munich and Salzburg as well... you are going to love it!

Don't stay in Zurich ... just a big city with not a lot to see or do! Jump on the train and head to either Bern or Lucerne... we love them both! Between the two, for that short time, I'd probably pick Lucerne. It will be WAY different from your other destinations! Couple of restaurant suggestions... in Vienna try Paulusstuben near the Opera House. In Budapest DEFINITELY eat at Fatal!

Enjoy your trip gt;)

Barry

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:23 PM
don

Mel- Definitely head to Lucerne. It's a short trip. Lucerne is in a beautiful setting- enchanting! And stop at the chocolat shop near the center of town!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:37 AM
jw

Not so, Barry. Zurich has some lovely old streets, churches, museums, restaurants. You can take a train ride to Lucerne if you'd like, but I'd stay put and maybe add a boat ride to Rapperswil. Ursula and others at this forum may be able to help you find budget accommodations. Just recently Judy booked a pension called Villa Maria; she can give you an idea of the cost. J.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:36 AM
Mel

Thanks for the replies. Barry, I am definitely planning on hitting Fatal in Budapest. I've really been thrown for a loop with this one, since Switzerland was not all a part of the plan and I don't know much about it.

Right now I am leaning towards Lucerne because, based on some quick net research here and elsewhere, it is more "typically Swiss." When I think of Switzerland, I think mountains and lakes, but we don't really have the time to do that properly.

Is Lucerne pretty scenic? That's the impression I get. Am I missing any other options?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:32 AM
Randy

My idea - and we have lived in Europe and travelled to Swirxerland often - is to leave your baggage in the railway or the airline "hold" section, jump on the train in the direction you'ld care to, and get off at a town you know nothing about, but that holds unknown beauty (most do). Lucerne is beautiful, but it is a city, and it sounds like you'd love the monutain countryside. I wouldn't be intimidated by not having a reservation - you should have no problem finding a pension someplace. And - you might check the train schedule to make sure you can make it back on time the next morning. Godd luck!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:06 PM
jw

Sorry about my error at the top; I think Jeri (not Judy) booked a room at the Villa Maria, in case anyone is interested. Actually, Randy's suggestion about leaving the luggage and hopping a train to wherever and letting the tourist office there find you a room sounds good. Unless, of course, it's the weekend -- oops, I think you did say that. Their hours might be shortened on weekends. Anyway, take a chance. Lucerne and Zurich are both pretty, but they are both cities. I think I still vote for staying near the airport -- Zurich or Rapperswil or Dielsdorf or Bulach (I stayed there at the Goldenen Kopf, which wasn't budget, but the pretty little town is in the perfect position to visit Zurich or Schaffhausen. I'm rattling. How early do you have to be at the airport? If you've got a couple of hours, I'll change my vote to Rapperswil on Zurichsee. It's a dandy little lake town. J.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:27 PM
Mel

Yes, it is the weekend. Let's see...our flight leaves at 10:55 on Monday morning. Is 2 hours sufficient time for international flights in Europe these days? If so, we need to be at the airport by 9am.

I do have to say I'm more a planning/research kind of girl. I like to know where I'm headed and prepare accordingly.

I did see something about Rapperswil. It must be on Lake Zurich because I think I read about it as a day trip? You're probably going to tell me that Zurichsee is Lake Zurich. I'm still figuring these kind of things out...

Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:58 PM
jw

Hi Mel, you can use the sbb.ch website to check rail schedules to and from the Zurich flughafen. Yes, Rapperswil is a nice town at the northeastern end of Zurich's lake. From there it is a quick train trip to Lucerne for a visit or into the hills of Appenzell. Lots of possibilities if you are interested in staying in a place smaller than Zurich or Lucerne. But of course staying in Zurich you will get to the airport much faster, and you can still visit Rapperswil or Lucerne. It takes about an hour to get there from either Lucerne or Rapperswil. Decisions, decisions. J.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:01 PM
jw

I mean it takes about an hour to get from R' or L' to the airport. I type faster than I think.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:03 PM
Leslie

Mel, I also suggest you go to Lucerne, its about an hour by train from Zurich. Lucerne is such a pretty town to sightsee in and so close to Zurich. Zurich is a nice town, but Lucerne is just so much prettier, and probably not as pricy.

I also just returned from Budapest and agree with Barry that you should eat at Fatal. The entrance is located in an alley on Vaci Utca (closer to the Great Market than the Elizabeth Bridge). Food is excellent, extremely cheap and the portions are enormous. I had dinner there 3 times. Whatever you order, make sure you order something that has mashed potatoes -- they are the best I have ever had (I think they are made with goose fat). By the way, Fatal has both a smoking and non-smoking section.