Search

Itinerary help: Italy first timers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 10 nights. We fly into Venice 10/26 at 2:15 pm and depart from Milan 11/5 at 10:30 am. That’s all we know!!

This is what I have sketched out:

10/26 arrive in Venice, 2:15 pm
10/27 Venice
10/28 Venice
10/29 am, train to Rome, overnight in Rome
10/30 Rome
10/31 Rome
11/1, train to Florence, overnight in Florence
11/2 Florence
11/3 Florence
11/4 train to Milan, overnight in Milan
11/5 depart Milan 10:30 am

Obviously we really want to see Rome, Florence, and Venice. However, Milan we only plan to stay there overnight so that we can catch our flight early the next morning. With that in mind- I really want to do Cinque Terre, however I don’t see where we could squeeze it in. Maybe a day trip from Florence? Also, I don’t know if October will be the best season to see CT…will it be raining?

Is this trying to do too much?? Am I appropriate that we will take trains between the cities? How long are the train rides? Any tips or itinerary help would be appreciated.

As far as hotels, important considerations for us are that it has a good location, is clean, and reasonably priced (say 3 star). For Rome, we were thinking Priscilla. For Venice, Corte Contarina. Thoughts?

Must see attractions, places to dine??

I know I have a ton of questions. It’s just so hard to plan and I want to do everything right and not feel like we messed up our vacation! I would really appreciate any help!! Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:09 PM

You could very easily get rained out in Cinque Terre in October. Thus it would be better to plan it for another trip. However, it can be done as a long day trip from Firenze if you are there and the mood hits and the sun is shining.

If Milan doesn't interest you, spend your last night in the town of Stresa on Lago Maggiore where you can take a bus to Malpensa in 50 minutes -- the same time it would take you if you overnighted in Milano. Ask your hotel in Stresa to reserve a seat on the bus for you.

You ask if you are trying to do too much. My feeling is "yes." I would elminate Rome from this trip -- unless of course your primary reason for going to Italy is to see Rome.

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Have you already bought your tickets? If not, I'd suggest that you:

Fly into Milan
Train to Venice ( about 3 hours on Eurostar)
Train to Florence ( I think this is between 2-3 hours, as I recall)
Train to Rome ( 1 1/2 hours on Eurostar)
Fly out of Rome

You avoid some backtracking by doing it this way.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi C,

Ditto Weadles.

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately we cannot change our flights (frequent flyer mile bookings). Based on feedback from another site too, we were thinking of doing one less night in Venice and adding a night to Florence so that we can do day trips to Sienna and/or Cinque Terre. What do you think of that plan?

Thanks again!!!!
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:59 AM

Sorry but I think its too much to jam this much into 10 nights. I would concentrate on Northern Italy and leave Rome for another trip when you have more time.

I would move only three times. Venice, Florence area, and then your last night before departure.

In the Florence area you can see Tuscany which to me is a must see and get out of the city environment for a taste of the laid back Italy. That would also allow you to go to Cinque Terre easily if you decide to do so.

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:04 AM

If you can't change your air tix, I'd recommend skipping Rome this time, too. Ten days isn't as much time as you think when you consider the travel to and from each place.

I think adding a night to Florence is a great idea. It'll be fun to get out in the Chianti countryside, and you'll have more time to enjoy it.

You might want to consider Nessumdorma's idea of staying your last night on Lago Maggiore in Stresa. It's a breathtaking setting at the foothill of the Alps, and it will give you a beautiful send-off for your trip.

As Nessundorma already pointed out, travel time to Malpensa Airport in Milan is about the same from Stresa or from downtown Milan.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
ira

Ditto weadles, again.

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM

I’ll be different and say that 10 days to see Rome, Florence and Venice is do-able. Something you may want to consider is Flying from Venice to Rome. Ryan Air has a direct flight from Venice Treviso (not really Venice, but close) to Rome Cianpino for 29EUR + Taxes. This flight will only take about an hour. Of course you will spend time getting to/ coming from airports, and waiting for the plane, but you will still come out ahead flying.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM

I did Venice, FLorence & Rome last Sept, staying 3 nights in each place & using train as transport. I didn't find it too much at all, just wish I had more time in Rome as that has the most to see...but overall got to do all I wanted to in each city, including a day trip to Pisa (a must see in my book) from Florence. Enjoy the adventure, however you chose!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:30 PM

If you really want to experience Italy, then you should not try to do too much in one trip. I agree that skipping Rome may be a good idea. One of the most appealing aspects of Italy is in taking time to savor wherever you are. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Rome, but to rush from place to place is not as enjoyable as simply exploring and taking the time to really enjoy the whole experience.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Candice,

Our family of 4(2 teens) and my parents did a 11-night Italy trip last May-June that was similar to what you are looking at. We too wanted to do Cinque Terre. However, to avoid spending all of our time traveling, we decided to do CT on another trip. I provide our itinerary in an attempt to help you decide, one way or the other....

- flew into Rome (5 nights)
- took train to Florence (3 nights)
- took train to Venice (2 nights)
- took train back to Rome for departure next day

Things we discovered and would recommend in each city.....

ROME:
Hotel - Castello della Castelluccia (see www.hotelcastellucciarome.com). It is on the outskirts of Lazio, which is about a 20 min. commute by train outside of Rome...VERY easy to do trains in Italy. A van from the castle will pick you up at the train station upon request. It was the most wonderful place we stayed in all of Italy! The commute might be an issue for some, but we loved touring the city all day and going back to the quiet countryside at night. The grounds, rooms, restaurant, and pool are to die for!

If you have time, Tivoli Gardens is an estate filled with water fountains and magical gardens. You can go in the afternoon, take in dinner, and leave amidst the lighted water fountains.

St.Peters was a wonderful part of Rome as well...and of course the Vatican.

FLORENCE:
Hotel - stayed at Porta Faenza...just steps away from SMN train station, but you don't hear the trains. It is a simpler place than the Castello (Rome), but has nice rooms, a good breakfast, and great proximity to the city and train station. (I would rather be able to walk to my hotel easily, since there is all of the luggage to deal with....then take out from there to explore hands-free.) There didn't seem to be much customer service, but we are not the type to lay around the hotel in a city like Florence! I'm sure if you needed something, it would be addressed, as the rooms were always done up in a timely fashion, etc. It is a great value for the money.

Restaurant: Our favorite was the "El Porcupine". (I know I have spelled this wrong!) It is on the way to the main/old part of town, across from a corner church, on the way to the Duomo. There is a porcupine painted on the window. There will be waiters greeting passersby with a jolly, welcoming attitude.

Shopping - The HIGHLIGHT was "Alice Atlier" on Via Faenze (same street as the hotel above). Professor Augostino Dessi is the owner. He is famous for his masks and they are the most authentic you will see in Italy! His shop is like going back in time to the time of Gheppetto. (He even hand-carves Pinnochio puppets! ) IT IS MAGICAL! An aside: the author of Pinnochio is from Florence, and you can see his house.

VENICE:
Hotel- stayed at Locanda Ca' del Brocchi in the Dursodo section of Venice. It was a nice hotel with a breakfast included. It was a very good value for the money, compared to other hotels and B&B's (<$200). It does not have a view of the waterway as their waterway was cemented over in the days of Napolean...who started doing this to some parts of Venice, but obviously fell short of his goal.

ALL ITALY: Be ready for a train strike. This happens and can put a stop to a lot of your plans...so do your most important things in each city as soon as you can. (It affects ALL traffic since so many use public transport, but then have to drive if a strike is in progress.)

TRAINS: Be sure to check for train schedules when traveling from town to town...especially on your departure date. The Euro Rail website will only show schedules so far ahead of time, but you can check by day of the week. When you are able to actually get your tickets, make sure to go 1st class WITH A SEAT RESERVATION. We were told that this is the safest way to go. DON'T FORGET TO VALIDATE YOUR TRAIN TICKETS IN THE LITTLE MACHINE at the train station...we would not have known that if I had not seen this on a forum posting! There is evidently a steep fine for not doing so!

PICK-POCKETS: Are all over Europe. Common sense will keep this from happening, but watch everything closely. No cameras carried on your back in a backpack, etc.

ARRIVAL: If coming from the US, you probably will lose a day going over, which will affect your room reservations. Check your tickets (+1 day).

ROOM RESERVATIONS: If a private restroom is important to you, as it is to us, I would make sure to verify that you are getting a private bathroom.

ENJOY ITALY....YOU WILL LOVE IT!

P.S. I never dreamed it would be so soon, if ever, but my husband and I have booked another trip to Italy in Sept.-Oct. It will include 2 nights in Cinque Terre, 2 in Venice, 2 in Florence, and 4 in Tuscany. We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and can't wait to go back!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Correction..."we did AN 11-day...." OOPS!