Itinerary help - four days in Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. Flying into Lisbon and out of Porto four days later. (Only flight option for the Ascension holiday weekend). First visit to Portugal ( but we live in Luxembourg so there will probably be others). Big fans of history, food and beaches (especially the latter for our 8 year old). Would love recs for an itinerary and whether to rent a car. Don't want to be running the whole time, so toying with two days in or around Lisbon (or Sintra?), then maybe two days at a beach town near Porto so we can catch a morning flight. But totally open at this point. Would love suggestions on the right approach. Thanks, Ken
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 07:33 AM

I'm from the Boston area and have been to Lisbon 3 times, and Porto once. Love it, so I keep going back.
If you're still planning things, I'd skip getting a car. Trams, trains, and taxis are all inexpensive there and very efficient.
Lisbon is very vibrant and fun to walk and trolley around in. Sinatra is very pretty and small, and local buses can get you to all the sites there. However, the beach town of Cascais is an easy day trip from Lisbon via tram/train and has a lovely beach if that's a priority.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 08:26 AM

skip the car. Portugal has excellent rail. You can easily do a day trip from Lisbon to Sintra to see Pena Palace, Moorish castle, etc. WIth limited time, however, you may consider just spending both days in Lisbon. Don't forget that Belem is nearby and sometimes "grouped together" with Lisbon. There you'll find the monastery, the monument to the discoverers, Torre Belem, and the famous pastries of course.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for this. My wife assumed control, so it's looking like two days in Portugal, one in Nazare, and one in Porto. Lots of moving, but should be fun.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:35 PM

I hope the weather will be warm enough to spend time on the beach. Too bad you will only have one day in Porto. If I were to decide, I would have spent the whole 4 days in and around Porto.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM

If to go to the beach is a must in you trip, I may recommend the ones around Lisbon because the beaches in the North of Portugal the water is pretty cold.
The train from Lisbon to Porto takes around 2 to 3 hours. You may check the timetable on www.cp.pt
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:18 PM

You don't say when you are going but if you can book your hotels by May 31st/2013 you can get exceptional rates at Pousadas.pt. These hotels are really worth the effort to score one. I don't know the details but I got an email re: this offer. There may be a min. stay but as i8 say i dojn't know the details. check it out..