Itinerary Help for Italy

Search

Itinerary Help for Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help for Italy

My husband and i will be staying 3 days in Rome, 3 in Florence and 3 in Venice and need some help as to what to do/see in each place. I have leafed through a few guide books, but this forum has helped me with other trips and is my best resource for planning an eventful trip. thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:37 AM

My suggestion would be to purchase Rick Steves' guidebook for each city and check out his itineraries for the number of days you are staying in each city. Then, after researching the books, you can change the itineraries to fit your specific interests.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:41 AM
ira

Hi

Have you looked at the miniguides to these cities at www.fodors.com?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:41 AM

Danak - For Rome, Ed's sight is still one of the best sources:

http://www.twenj.net/romesights.htm

Steve
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Unless you or your husband are major art buffs, I would skip most of the museums. I started off my trip to Italy going to every major art museum in the city...but soon realize I was paying too much money when I was really only interested in 1 or 2 works of art in the whole museum. My favorite places were usually the ones that were free. There is so much to do in Rome, without buying a ticket. My fav sights were Trevi Fountatin, the ancient forums, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, and the Pantheon. Of course, you should take the time to see the Colosseum and the Vatican (I didnt wait in line for more than an hour at either place). In Florence, visit Ponte de Vecchio, Piazza Signora (the original sight of David), and the Cathedral. In Venice, visit St. Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge. You dont have to spend the extra money for a gondola, unless you want the alone time on the canal with your hubby. I took a number of the water buses, and was able to sit in the back where there is open air, and enjoy the canal for much cheaper. I am still in Italy, so if you have any questions...feel free to email me!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:49 AM

This is what I would do. Take all of the above advice: look through a good guidebook, Fodor's and twenj. Then prioritize the sights which appeal to you for each city according to the type of vacation YOU are both dreaming of. Then plan you days accordingly.

Our list is always longer than is realistically feasible, but we always enjoy whatever we do. For us, the highlights of these cities were:

Rome--St. Peter's/Sistine Chapel/Vatican, Roman Forum, Colloseum, the entire Centro Storico area near Pantheon and Piazza Navona and breakfast on the rooftop of our hotel.

Florence--David, the Botticelli's at the Uffizi, Santa Croce, Duomo, Baptistry, views from Piazzelle Michelangelo, San Miniato.

Venice--San Marco Basilica, Palazzo Ducale, Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari Basilica, Santa Maria della Salute Basilica, Church of Sts. Giovanni and Paolo, San Marco Piazza early morning and late evening and, best of all, getting lost amidst all the glorious buildings and canals and views.

You will enjoy no matter what you do...and don't forget to eat lots of gelato!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:29 PM
ira

Hi Lorac,

For Florence, did you intend to leave out the Pzza Signoria, Ponte Vecchio, Museo d'Opera, an evening walk along the Arno and watching the sunset from Fiesole?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM

As an art lover (and in case Danak is one as well), I'd also have to add the Borghese in Rome and the Fra Angelico frescoes in Florence to the other favorite sites mentioned above.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

we're not art buffs but would like to see the stanrd touristy stuff once we haev made the trip. Thanx for ed's website - it looks great! Any suggestions for great food? We love to eat amazing food...Wouldn't mind spending $75-$100 a night for dinner...