Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Help (Eastern Germany, Poland, Austria, and Czechia)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2024, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I am planning a trip to Europe in December, flying into Munich and flying out of Vienna.

Here's my proposed itinerary, connecting to all via train:
  • 3 nights in Munich
  • 2 nights in Berlin
  • 2 nights in Wroclaw
  • 3 nights in Prague
  • 2 nights in Vienna
  • 2 nights in Hallstat
  • 1 night in Vienna (staying near airport to catch early flight)
I know it's a bit ambitious (I've done crazier) but I want to see as much as possible. I welcome your thoughts but most importantly I'd like to know if you recommend I'd stick that third night that I currently plan on spending in Prague in another one of the towns I have listed here! Not sure if I'll need more or less time in the others.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 11:34 AM

I sure wouldn't want all those two-night stays, but it's your trip. I would not reduce the time in Prague. I spent five nights there in early October and it wasn't too much.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So many long train rides.... One after another... I'd rather have more sightseeing time in fewer places.

Wroclaw sustained a lot of bomb damage in WWII.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 05:42 PM

Does this itinerary include travel days? Because if you factor them in, suddenly you don't have three days somewhere, more like two days. And with your two-night stays they will become one-day stays.

I would certainly budget more time for Berlin, if you can extend your trip at all. Berlin is a mammoth, and although the public transport is efficient and the network is wide, it can take a while to get to the U-Bahn or S-Bahn, depending on where you stay and what you want to see.

Lavandula
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
Wroclaw sustained a lot of bomb damage in WWII.
It has been completely rebuilt. But I would drop Berlin and Wroclaw and spread the saved days to the other major destinations.
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 12:38 AM

Let's have a look at the train journey times:
Munich - Berlin: 4 1/2 hrs
Berlin - Wroclaw: 4 hrs
Wroclaw - Warszawa: 4 1/2 hrs
Warszawa - Praha: 8 1/2 hrs
Praha - Vienna: 4 hrs
Vienna - Hallstatt: 3 1/2 hrs
Hallstatt - Vienna airport: 4 hrs
Total 33 hrs
Add 2 hrs for hotel check out/check in and transfer within the cities and you see that these railway journeys take almost the whole day.

If you change your itinerary like this:
Munich - Hallstatt. 4hrs
Hallsrtatt - Prague: 6 hrs
Prague - Berlin:4 1/2 hrs
Berlin - Wroclaw: 4 hrs
Wroclaw - Warszawa: 4 1/2 hrs
Warszawa - Vienna: 7 1/2 hrs
Vienna - Airport: 15 min,
Total 30 3/4 hrs
you would not only spend 2 hrs less in trains, but you could do the Warszawa - Vienna leg in an overnight train with sleeping cars and would so have a whole day more for visits.

BTW: You seem to be interested in big cities only, not in scenic landscapes, small cities or casltes etc. in tghe middle of nothing.. Therefore it's hard for me to understand why you want to visit overtouristy Hallsstatt.
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael
It has been completely rebuilt. But I would drop Berlin and Wroclaw and spread the saved days to the other major destinations.
I know it has been rebuilt, but it's not now anything like what it was before the war, so it depends on what you're going there to see. It's an interesting and, in places, attractive town, but, if you're going there to look at all of the beautiful old/ancient buildings (as you would in Krakow), you won't find many that are older than 65/70 years. The "de-Germanization" sentiment after the war was so strong, the Old Town square was rebuilt in an entirely different architectural style. Medieval streets were not re-created, and there are definitely examples of ghastly Communist-era building and urban design.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 08:44 AM

Some forum member provided me with an advice regarding Wroclaw "I was in Krakow and Wroclaw this past December and really enjoyed my short time in Wroclaw. It was at the end of a snow storm that dumped a lot of snow so my opinion might be a little tainted and during the Christmas Market. I just liked the main sights and wish I had a bit more time as I was only there for 2 full days. I didn't know the history behind the Wroclaw Gnomes and thought it was fun to find them and find out their meaning. That might not be of interest to you but there are other things that might if it's on your way."
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:26 AM

A Wroclaw gnome:

Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP posted once back in January and disappeared - at least s/he admitted to being crazy