Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Concentration Camp and WWII Sites Guidebook in Germany, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, France, Netherlands

Search

Concentration Camp and WWII Sites Guidebook in Germany, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, France, Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came across this book's website on rec.travel.europe and thought it might be of interest to some. http://www.ConcentrationCampGuide.com Regards, Walter
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Walter...this book was written by my co-worker and friend Marc Terrance. My husband actually helped to edit the book. Marc took several trips to put this together and is very proud of the book. I hope you are able to use it!

margy
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 07:24 PM

As it was stated on another forum. This is making money on someone elses hardship.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 07:32 PM

Relax, hax.

Every history book fits your definition.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Haxter...Marc hasn't made any money on this book. His expenses were much more than any profits.

I would think nearly all travel books and guides would list cemeteries...war memorials etc. Would you consider that making money on someone elses hardship?

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 10:02 PM

Try, Historical Atlas of the Holocaust. Available from, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Maps and evolution of the 'Holocaust'.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 03:09 AM

Lest we forget, lest we forget. When my wife and I went through Auschwitz-Birkenau, we were guided by a very knowlegeable and erudite Polish lady. We were more than happy to compensate her for her excellent assistance in helping us learn even more about this ghastly place.

Would her services be considered "making money off someone's else's misfortune"? We think not.

I have a hard time sympathizing with the viewpoint that a book -- which will no doubt outlast all of us -- that helps future generations learn from the sins of the past is somehow inappropriate. Mr. Terrance and all who helped in this project deserve our heartfelt thanks and eternal gratitude.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 03:59 AM
AR

Absolutely USNR. I have visited Theresinstadt and Auschwitz (although we didn't go to Birkenau). To stand where individuals, chosen only by their race or religion, were murdered is a very sobering experience. If any book can highlight the horror that was played out at these death camps and focus our future judgements, then fine. Would anyone claim that Simon Wiesenthal has devoted his life for this cause out of pure greed? Furthermore, the worst thing is that this kind of attrocity didn't end at Auschwitz. It has continued, and is still going on now.
When you see the rise of anti-semitism in countries such as Germany, France and the UK then this is just the kind of history that needs to be taught. End of sermon!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 04:22 AM

I ordered the 2000 edition of the book soon after it came out, and I certainly disagree with the point of view that Mark Terrance is making money on someone else's misfortune. The book is a VERY helpful guide to anyone who wishes to visit any of the sites. He provides extremely detailed directions with helpful maps. The book is not intended as a history of the Holocaust; it is a guide to getting to the sites. In the Introduction, the author writes: "It is important that we visit these sites and tell others about our experiences to help keep the memory alive. I HIGHLY recommend that anyone making these journeys study, read, see films and THINK about the Holocaust BEFORE going."

This book is not a mass-market paperback. It's intended for a special market, and I think that most of us who read these forums are a part of that audience. I'm not bothered at all by someone mentioning books like these in any post.

W. A. Robison
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Hopefully, one of the long-term benefits of such a book would be to incite people to action so that there aren't any MORE of these situations which very definitely caused the "hardships" in the first place.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 02:34 PM

Alas, wishful thinking given the crop of current world "leaders", lol.
M