Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary help: Driving to Cote D'Azur (Saint Tropez) from Avignon area - good idea?

Search

Itinerary help: Driving to Cote D'Azur (Saint Tropez) from Avignon area - good idea?

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 10:08 AM
KathyO

Hello everyone. We'll be first-timers to France (and Europe) this late June. Our intinerary:

Days 1,2 - afternoon arrival in Paris; overnight

Day 3 - TGV to Avignon, pick up car, drive to meet sister and family at home exchange nearby

Days 4-9 - Explore Provence

Days 10,11 - Optional

Days 12,13,14 - TGV from Avignon to Paris (leave on day 15)

We're driving ourselves crazy trying to decide what to do on days 10,11. We'll have a car which we'll turn in at Avignon before we head to Paris. We have the option of staying at the house in Provence 2 days, or driving somewhere to the coast and maybe staying a night, or turning in the car earlier and taking the train to a completely different location... like Italy or Switzerland. (I think we've ruled that out... we can always come back!)

I'm trying to be sensible - we don't like driving very much, but St. Tropez is the closest from Avignon (of the popular coast cities) and I just can't see not seeing the Cote D'Azur as long as we're that close.

Apparently public transportation to St. Tropez is difficult, but maybe driving is worse. Also, I don't know what the allure for me is about St. Tropez except that it's closer than Cannes or Nice, and I like what I've read about it. Could we park somewhere in St. Raphael and bus over for the day?

Any recommendations regarding driving to the coast or in general, what to do with the two "free days" would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old May 8th, 2003, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi!
As a Belgian who used to travel a lot to Cote d'Azur I would say the place you want to stop at is very much dependent on your expectations.
Also you are not saying when you're going. Be aware Jul 15-Aug 20 will be very crowded (French vacation time).
St Tropez is very much where you want to be seen if you have got lots of money. It is a bit of a weird place but unique in its sense. Road access may be quite congested. If you elect to go there give yourself some time in Port-Grimaud. A walk in the village is well worth.
Cannes and Nice will be more like fashionable and more 'Cote d'Azur'.
I would suggest you take the sea road between Marseilles and Port Grimaud/St Tropez, stopping at the Calanques - a beautiful rocky area by the sea. Again here plan a 2-3h stop for a walk.
There coul dbe more but this should give you a flavour of the area.
Enjoy it!
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Actually I'm more concerned about your first night in Paris. Rather than trudge from the aeroport into Paris, stay one night, then back to the train station, why not take the TGV directly from CDG to Avignon and rest up for a few days. You can add an extra day onto the end of your trip in Paris or northern France, using it for day trips or another overnighter from Paris (such as Chartres, Versailles, Mont St Michel, Burgundy wine region. This will give you the proper balance between northern and southern France. Bon Voyage!
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:53 AM
bethanyboy

kathy,

I've been to France (North and South) several different times -- and to me, the difference is very pronounced. I loved Provence, and drove to Nice stayed overnight, and went on to Monaco. The entire coast was beautiful and well worth the trip.

I found the people in Southern France are friendlier than the North.

I did not find driving, nor parking, any problem at all -- motorways are well-marked, and many rest areas (and the restaurants therein) are better than what we are used to here in the US.

One suggestion: I'd allow some time to explore Paris, too -- I found it to be one of the nicest cities in Europe with lots to do!

Have fun.

Old May 8th, 2003, 02:16 PM
KathyO

Usbeauty, we were originally going to leave for Provence straight from the airport, but changed our minds when we thought about our first morning in France with my sister's little kids. We want to be well rested and be able to acclimate a bit before the fun begins...

Tgnych, your comments about St. Tropez are interesting. We're very low-key people without a lot of $$... We love the water and are thinking we'd like to spend a day wandering along the shoreline and finding a place to sit and have some wine and watch the boats and the people, enjoy the view, etc. Taking a boat ride sounds like fun, too. Will we be out of place wearing khaki shorts, sandals, t-shirts? I assume that since it's not Paris and it's on the beach, we needn't concern ourselves about that, right?

Old May 8th, 2003, 02:49 PM

Pampelonne Beach near St. Tropez is about 5 km long, and there are all kinds of people there. There's an old coast guard trail along the shore that you might enjoy. Check the Michelin Green Guide for Cote d'Azur for details.

Had you considered spending the night near Avignon? It's much more restful than Paris and is a kinder and gentler introduction to France.
Old May 8th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Don't miss Aix-en-Provence, a charming place.
Old May 8th, 2003, 03:40 PM
KathyO

Cluny, actually yes, the longest leg of our two weeks will be spent less than an hour east of Avignon--6 nights. I have some more reading to do about things to do in this area, but I know we will be delighted! About Pampelonne beach, is there a particular stretch that is more picturesque than others?

Regarding Aix, I read an earlier hilarious post in which the poster was not "Aix-static" or even "Aix-cited" about Aix. Others, however, disagreed. I'm sure we'll take a trek there too.

Old May 8th, 2003, 04:30 PM

We were there in late April. As I recall, we went to a stretch of beach that happened to have free parking close by. By June, I imagine that it will be much more crowded, but it was a mix of ordinary young people and families--just like you'd find on a beach in North America. The village of Ramatuelle, which is nearby, was very nice, too.

When I mentioned spending the night near Avignon, I meant taking the TGV from CDG and spending the next nearby (someone mentioned a hotel in Villeneuve les Avignon that sounds very nice). I think you'd be much better prepared to deal with small children that way.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:50 AM

Hi!
don't worry about 'fashion' in St Tropez. Kakis will be ok, too.
In the meantime I noted you got loads of additional ideas.
You have to choose now.
Your problem is - France is such a large and sightseeing rich country that it will take you years to stroll through it.
So just make your choice and enjoy it. You can't be idappojnted by any of the suggested places in the attached notes.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:37 AM

I have driven from Avignon to Nice, as it happens and it is a lovely drive south through wonderful country. There are two routes south, one conventional and quite leisurely and slow and one with a new toll superhighway which will allow you to leave Avignon at 2 and be in Monte Carlo by 6 or before.

The fastest route south, which is actually also very scenic, passes Aix-en-Provence and allows you to divert to Marseilles or continue, via a toll highway, to the coast and on to Nice. The highway is a superb modern multi-lane highway, but you should be advised that the speed limit is higher than North American speed limits (130 kph which is 78 MPH) and NO one goes under 130. I think most travellers were going at least 140 to 150 because I did the 130 limit and was passed by the whole world. If you are reluctant to go with the flow stick to the slow lane and let the locals who love to travel at high speeds enjoy the passing lanes. Also, this route passes above the towns and cities on the actual coast, so if you want to take the route along the coast you will have to divert off it, once out of the mountains, to go down to the coast. In the interests of time I would take the toll road and then divert to which ever point of interest you elect to spend your time at.

Lanny
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:54 AM

The calanques, or fjords, in Cassis near Marseilles are worth a few hours. If you have cultural interests,further east is the Matisse Chapel in Vence, near Nice, is well worth visiting as is the Meaght Foundation, a wonderful indoor and outdoor modern art museum, in St. Paul de Vence nearby.
While roads are very good traffic can be a tangle. Lavender starts to bloom in late June. You may want to spend your time in the Luberon in Provence. Consider visiting the Abbey Senanque where monks cultivate vast fields of lavender at a 12th century monastery.

Aix-en-Provence is near Avignon. It has been described as the "Paris of the South". You can get the TGV there for a return to Paris.

Good luck.
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:00 PM
KathyO

Thank you so much for all for the replies. I get it now, Cluny... yes, your suggestion about staying near Avignon the first night does make sense. Well, we do have a reservation in Paris for that one night - a place on Rue Cler. We thought we'd get up in the a.m. and casually stroll the market - get a little taste of what we'll be experiencing the last 3 days of our 2-week vacation.

Old May 10th, 2003, 04:06 AM

Need more opinions? I think spending your first night in Paris is fine. It's not like you have to get all the way back to CDG to get the train so it's only one trek into the city. My first trip to France I spent the first night in Paris (on rue Cler) (was dropping off someone in Paris) and then took the TGV to Provence. Your're right about getting a taste of Paris for your last few days. Think about a boat ride on the Seine that first night.

I'm one of the people who likes Aix MORE than Avignon. I found it really charming, and that was with the construction which I understand is now completed. So give it a try. Only an hour or so from Avignon so you could do it while staying in Avignon.

If you want something a little different but are afraid of the crowds on the coast during summer, consider the hill towns in that area - Vence, St Paul, Eze. I was there in July and it was not as crowded as Nice. While you'll get plenty of small towns in Provence, the ones in the Cote d'Azure are much more lush with palms trees and lots of flowers and a very Italian feel. It's less than 3 hours by highway from Avignon, and as someone already said, the highway is very good.
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:40 AM

If you are going down to the coast, why not use Nice [or somewhere in the vicinity] as a base and then take the TGV from there. Or make a one-night stop on the way to Nice.
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Park your car in St Maxime and take the boat to St Tropez. It's only a 15 minute beautiful ride for 3 or 4 E. However, it will save you a couple hours of bumper to bumper traffic into St Tropez. Or, you can take the train to St Raphael like we did, get on the bus at the station, ride to St Maxime, and take the boat.