Itinerary help

Sep 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary help

I am planning a two week vacation in Croatia at the end of May, beginning of June. Will be traveling with 2 kids - 5 and 1. Ideally, I'd like to rent a villa on one of the islands and then take day trips. What would be a good island to make a base? Hvar, Korcula?
If not an island -- what other central point? We'd love to see as many places as we can without having to change hotel rooms every 2-3 nights. Thank you for any suggestions.
Sep 18th, 2009, 07:43 AM

It sounds as if you are interested in southern Dalmatia, so I suggest one week in the Dubrovnik area and one week in the Split area. You could possibly split the first week between Dubrovnik and Korcula, if you want to ferry between Dbv and Split it is good to break up the trip, and Korcula is too far fora day trip from either Dbv or Split.
While in Dubrovnik, you could visit Mostar, Kotor, and several small islands. While in Split, there are many mainland day trips as well as easy access to Hvar, Brac, Solta islands. Those islands may be well connected enough that you could stay there and visit the mainland, but interisland travel for day trips is not always a given.
You don't say if you will have a car.
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:49 AM

many years ago, we stayed in a resort near Dubrovnik called Cavtat. it had a lovely beach and was very close to Dubrovnik, so you would all be happy.
Sep 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM

As mentioned above, you may have to split your time between the Dubrovnik/Cavtat area and the Split/Trogir area. From Dubrovnik you can make day trips to Montenegro, Mostar, Korcula (although a it is a long day trip), and the Elafiti islands. From Split, you can make day trips to Hvar, Brac, Trogir, Makarska, etc.
Sep 20th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Splitting the trip sounds like a really good idea. We will have a car. May be if the weather is still on a cooler side, we should stay on the mainland and take day trips to the islands. We won't be swimming, but shouldn't it be warm enough to go to the beach? If not, then I need to rethink our itinerary.
Originally, we were going to fly to Zagreb and then drive down the coast. But I think it may be too much. Should we add the area around Zadar and trying to split it up that way?
Sep 21st, 2009, 08:59 AM

In two out of three late-May visits to southern Croatia, we had perfect weather. One trip we had iffy weather (spring storms).
The weather will likely be warm enough that you can stand a dip in the still-chilly sea. Depends on where you're from also--Canada, no problem. Florida, no swimming.
Hvar is fantastic in May. Trogir is a nice choice with children. It just seems like a family-friendly place.
Sep 21st, 2009, 12:41 PM

It is about 4 hours drive from Zagreb to Split I think--check viamichelin website. You could stop for a night in Plitvice.
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks