Search

Itinerary HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary HELP!

Hi - I am traveling from Houston to Europe (Italy and then Greece) in mid September. I plan to spend about 2 weeks in Europe. IAH - Rome - Athens - IAH

So far I know that I want to see the following places, but I am not sure in what order:

Rome
Florence
Mount Vesuvius
Sorrento
Pompeii

(then fly from Rome to Athens)
Athens
Nafplion
Mystras
bak to Athens for the flight home to Houston.

I basically need to know whether this itinerary makes sense. I am flexible on the number of nights I stay in each place, just as long as I get to see all of them.

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 06:39 PM

OK, so basically you have one week in each country? Then basically, no, the itinerary doesn't make sense.

I can't comment on the Greece portion (although it also sounds like too much for one week), but to see Rome, Florence and Sorrento (with side trips to Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii) in one week is extremely ambitious. I know you say you are flexible as long as you get to see them all, but that really means you're not flexible!

Florence is in one direction from Rome, and Sorrento is in the opposite direction. Florence to Sorrento is a long way. I would highly recommend that you leave the Amalfi Coast for another trip. Fly into Rome, upon arrival go directly to Florence and spend three nights there, train to Rome for four nights before your flight to Athens. This will be more than enough for your week in Italy. You could spend a lot more time in each of these two places.

(Actually, I would spend the entire two weeks in Italy, and then you could see all you want to see there, but I guess your flights are already booked?)
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 06:45 PM

I agree with SusanP that this is way too much to try to see. If you stick to the basic rule that you will lose minimum of 1/2 day each time you move cities you will be able to see that it's impractical.

If you really want to see Pompeii, then you could also consider skipping Florence. Rome to Sorrento is quite do-able. You will need pretty much an entire day to see Pompeii if you factor in 1/2 hour train trip from Sorrento, at least 4 hours at Pompeii then 1/2 back to Sorrento.

You can probably manage the Greek itinerary in one week, but don't forget you'll lose at least another 1/2 day moving from Rome to Athens. Athens itself offers plenty to see in the few days that you will really have available.

Anyway, it's up to you, but it does seem that you will spend too much time travelling from place to place.

I agree with SusanP that you could easily spend the two weeks in Italy and see Rome, Florence and the Amalfi coast in a little more depth.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You picked two countries that look sort of near each other and pretty small on a map and decided "what the heck -- two countries, two weeks - sure!"

The Greece part could work in a week IMO, but the Italy part -- no way no how.

You don't have an itinerary, you have a list of sites.

14 days - 2 days flying - 1 day getting over the jetlag - most of a day to get from Italy to Greece and settled in - another couple of days total for travel between places = you are now down to about 8 or 9 days free for sightseeing.

I'd suggest back to the drawing board and decide if you want to see 1) just a couple of places in Italy and some of Greece, or 2) maybe spend 10 days in Italy and a couple of days in Athens. (OR - better yet, the entire two weeks in one country)
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:16 PM

Agree with others, way too ambitious. As already stated,
I would at least stay with one country in that short time
period. The quote "Europe is a never ending journey" is a
good one to keep in mind when trip planning. Try to slow down
a bit and actually enjoy some of the places you visit. Keep working at it and you will come up with the perfect trip.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so much for your advice!

Okay, so how's this?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 Depart Houston
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 Arrive Milan early AM, then 2 hour tain to Florence
Thursday, September 24, 2009 Day in Florence
Friday, September 25, 2009 early Evening train to Rome
Saturday, September 26, 2009 Night in Rome
Sunday, September 27, 2009 Afternoon 2.5 hour train to Naples, then half hour bus to Sorrento
Monday, September 28, 2009 Sorrento
Tuesday, September 29, 2009 Day trip top Naples/Pompeii
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 Sorrento
Thursday, October 01, 2009 Sorrento to Nafplion 6 hours (incl flight from rome to athens)
Friday, October 02, 2009 Nafplion
Saturday, October 03, 2009 Nafplion
Sunday, October 04, 2009 Early bus to Athens
Monday, October 05, 2009 Athens
Tuesday, October 06, 2009 Depart Athens for Houston
Wednesday, October 07, 2009 land in Houston
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM

Waaaaaaaaaay too much movement in too short a time! You're going to need a vacation from your vacation!
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM

Have you booked your flights? I'd fly into Rome, delete Florence, and add all the Florence time to Rome . . . maybe take a daytrip from Rome to Florence f you must see it, but wouldn't change hotels to do so.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
TAW

With that schedule all you will see are the insides of train/bus stations and airports and hotel lobbies. Not to mention packing/unpacking all the time!
Way too busy of an itinerary. Pick one city in Italy(Rome would be my pick) for a week and do some side trips if you want then go to Greece for the second week and stay in one place (Athens)and do day trips from there also.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM

I don't think your itinerary is too bad, but it seems you are favoring Sorrento over Rome and Nafplion over Athens. I would adjust for those items unless you truly prefer the smaller places to the major cities. Also the Oct. 1 day is going to be a killer, I would think. You don't seem to be considering how long it will take you to get from Sorrento to the airport at Rome and how long it will take to get from the Athens airport to Nafplion.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM

i'd agree with ellenem to delete Florence unless you're way more artsy than I am. Matter of fact, I'd just do the "hop on hop off" bus twice around the block in Rome and head to Munich and Berlin. haha but that's just me.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
mad, just mad. either pick Italy or Greece and spend all your tme in your choice, or have a week in Rome and a week in Athens.

europe will still be here another year.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kristinelaine! I actually do prefer the smaller places to the big cities. In cities like Athens and Rome, I only want to see the typical sites in a day or two and move on to the smaller places.

I agree that I may need to make Florencec a day trip from Rome. (just as long as i see the wonderful art). This way I can hunker down in Rome a bit longer than two nights.

Ive built in 2 heavy travel days to get from one hotel/city to another. I figured that was just a part of exploring Europe though. I don't mind losing those 2 days, as long as they afford me the chance to enjoy the rest of my time in the places I most want to see.

How's this?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 Depart Houston, afternoon flight
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 Arrive Rome early AM, settle in, then evening sights
Thursday, September 24, 2009 Day trip to Florence
Friday, September 25, 2009 Rome
Saturday, September 26, 2009 Rome, Vatican
Sunday, September 27, 2009 Depart Rome for Sorrento (3 horus),
Monday, September 28, 2009 Sorrento
Tuesday, September 29, 2009 Day trip to Pompeii from Sorrento
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 Day trip to Capri from Sorrento
Thursday, October 01, 2009 Depart Sorrento-to Rome for flight to Athens, then bus to Nafplion
Friday, October 02, 2009 Nafplion
Saturday, October 03, 2009 Nafplion
Sunday, October 04, 2009 Athens
Monday, October 05, 2009 Athens
Tuesday, October 06, 2009 Depart Athens, evening flight
Wednesday, October 07, 2009 Arrive Houston early AM
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM

cblair, do as you wish .... we ask only one thing. When you get back, please post your experiences, and tell us after the fact of anything you would have done differently. Good luck on your ambitious trip!
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM

Just a couple notes:

A) Have you checked if there is a flight from Naples (Capodichino airport) to Athens?
B) Very unlikely you will be able to reach Sorrento from Rome in 3 hours. Most logical transportation is train, and you will have to board the train at Termini (huge station) then arrive in Naples (huge station) change railroads (from Ferrovia dello Stato to the Circumvesuviana). Summarizing, from the moment you leave your Rome hotel till you arrive at you Sorrento destination, with luck, you will have spent six hours.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM

Your full day in Sorrento ... I would spend half a day for Amalfi coast. Take morning bus ride (sitting on right side of bus for sea views) to Positano then boat back to Sorrento. If you have a whole day go to Positano, Amalfi and then small village of Ravello. Check at Sorrento tourist office for boat times returning to town from Amalfi or Positano. Definitely see Capri and Pompeii as planned.

If you haven't been to Italy, I agree I would spend whole time in Italy. Adding on Florence and maybe Venice or if car Tuscany. Fly into the most southern place Naples or Rome and out of most northern place Venice.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM

I would switch the day trip to Florence to the 25th. You do not want to wake up the first AM and have to run to catch a bus/train/tour. Spend two days in Rome and then day trip to Florence or do Rome-Florence-Rome. I took an 8 night trip with a Venice-Florence-Rome itinerary, was overzealous and was crying in Rome that I was soooo tired! Literally, sitting on the bed crying. I know you are planning the trip of a lifetime, but cramming too much in will poop you out and you will be miserable. Besides that, have fun!!!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas jfcarli, la_dolce_vita, and gesellpartyof5!

I will fly out of Naples to Athens instead of Rome (lower fare too! =p) and I will go to Florence on my second full day and not my first.

You all have been so helpful. Thanks so Much!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:19 AM

It should also save you alot of time to fly out of Naples instead of going all the way back to Rome.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you stay in Sorrento and fly from Naples, there is a shuttle bus from Sorrento to the airport (if the schedules works for your flight).
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Most ferry operators schedules will change/drop towards the end of September. I would check that when you arrive Sorrento. Return ferry schedules don't run late from Capri so check the time of the last return ferry.

>>>>B) Very unlikely you will be able to reach Sorrento from Rome in 3 hours.<<<<

There is a bus from Rome (Tiburtina station) to Sorrento which takes 3:45. It departs 7am and cost is 17.50€.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -