Search

Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe. We are looking for a romantic, active and luxurious trip. We have 15 days.
We would like to see the French Riviera, the Cyclades, (Santorini? I am now reading its very touristy), and Paris. Beaches and exploration, meeting the locals are some of our favorite things when traveling. We did think Croatia but it seems like that adds a lot more traveling time.
I think 4 nights in each place?
I have heard about Carte Isabella? I thought that would awesome to explore the Cote D'azur.?
We are from the mountains and LOVE the beach when we travel.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
I am thinking to fly as much as possible for efficiency?
Lastly, flying from SFO to Paris seems the best flight, when flying Business Class which airline is the best?
Thanks!!!
Old May 10th, 2016, 12:35 PM

When are you going - the French Riviera is a complete zoo in most of July and August - ditto for Greek Islands.

OK Paris - 4 days
5- Take train to Nice (about 5 hours but as quick as flying really if you factor in getting to the airports and back, etc and time needed to check-in early, late planes, etc. There is also an overnight train between Paris and Nice.

for train fares and schedules check www.voyages-sncf.com - book early for sweet discounted fares. Taking the train lets you see a lot of bucolic French countryside - planes just airports and tarmacs. TGV trains go up to nearly 200 mph so you may think you're flying! For lots on trains and night trains check www.seat61.com- rave info on discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Riviera - 4 days

Fly to Greece - leave from Athens.

Virgin Airways always ranks top in Business Class.
Old May 10th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's what I was worried about...crowds are not our thing.
We are traveling July 2-17.
Any recommendations?
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:23 PM

Not sure you can complletely avoid crowds in July. If you like a coastal trip maybe look somewhere like Algarve in Portugal.
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anywhere in southern Europe, especially coastal regions, will be very crowded and very hot. Consider the UK, Scandinavia or the Baltics instead. Or change your dates.
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:30 PM

Early July is a good time to go—high season doesn't really begin until the last half of July on the Greek Islands. If one of your aims is to meet the locals, I urge you to try, along with Santorini, a less touristy island as well. Naxos, Paros, and Antiparos are less crowded than Santorini, and on the same main ferry route. In the summer winds keep the Cyclades cool.

I've only been to the Côte d'Azur (French Riviera) in late May and early June, so can't comment on what it's like in July.
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:05 AM

We are traveling July 2-17.
Any recommendations?

Hit the Riviera right away - crowds swell from mid-July on.
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I have been non-stop researching. We want to go to the Cyclades, and appreciate the feedback so much! Which of the islands has air travel to it (don't do sea travel well) or is a short distance from Santorini? We have decided to stick closet to Greece,Santorini and are looking into options in Croatia, Italian Riviera (eastern)? Can this be done in this time? or does it sound like too much?
We love the non stop from SFO to Paris, so best travel from there to Athens or Milan? To Croatia then Cyclades?
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:30 AM

The two Cyclades islands with airports large enough for jets are Mykonos and
Santorini. Naxos, Paros, and a few other islands have airports served by small Dash 8-100 turboprops.

For someone who doesn't do sea travel well, the best island would be Naxos, which is only two hours from Santorini on a very large and stable Blue Star ferry. Paros is another hour away on the same route. Naxos has beautiful beaches, and traditional inland villages where you can see locals at work rather than just other tourists.

From Naxos or Paros you could fly back to Athens, avoiding a 4-5 hour ferry trip. The aircraft that fly out of those two islands hold only about 30 passengers, so seats sell out quickly. A larger airport on Paros is due to open on July 16th, allowing 78 pax Dash 8 Q400 aircraft to land.

Many newbies feel they have to visit Mykonos AND Santorini, but that would mean travelling between the two by catamaran, which are less stable than Blue Star.
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:51 PM

I have heard about Carte Isabella? I thought that would awesome to explore the Cote D'azur.?>

Yes unlimited day of taking trains from Frejus to Ventimiglia, Italy (for a taste of Italy!) so if you want to visit say Monaco and Antibes or Grasse (perfume capital of France - visit the factories) or Cannes, etc then it is great. But if just going from say Nice to Monaco and back it may be cheaper just to buy a return ticket - the pass costs about 15 euros p.p.