Itinerary for Switzerland Trip?

Feb 12th, 1999, 04:01 PM
Mark and Deb

Itinerary for Switzerland Trip?

We've recently won a trip to Switzerland that includes hotel in the following cities: 3 nights in Montreux and 3 nights in either Lucerne or Interlaken or both. In addition we have a 8 day Swiss Pass that includes rail, motorcoaches, lake steamers and local buses and streetcars. We will fly into Zurich or Geneva and out of one or the other. We're pretty budget minded and fairly outdoorsy types and if you couldn't tell, we've never been to Switzerland before. Any help in planning our itinerary would be greatly appreciated.

Mark and Deb
Minneapolis, MN

Feb 12th, 1999, 04:24 PM
richard j. vicek

GOOD EVENING?????????????
Many questions, how long, all of CH or the mountains, the lakes, the big cities
Have to start somewhere. e-mail answer.
Will reply Richard of Hickory Hills. IL..

Feb 12th, 1999, 04:26 PM
richard j. vicek

Good evening Mark and Deb
Your message to the BB did not come up
originally, will reply in a couple days
to your e-mail address.
Richard of Hickoryu Hills, Il...

Feb 12th, 1999, 06:06 PM
Bob Brown

I spent two weeks in Switzerland last September and we are going back this year. I can tell you what we did in hopes that will help. First let me say, that we enjoyed the trip. But you did not say when you are going. That will have a major impact on what you try to do. Before I unload the wagon so to speak on our hiking trips, it would help to know when you are going.

Luzern has some very interesting places in it. The transportation museum is neat. We spent several hours there.

Our base however was 7 K south of Interlaken in the valley village of Lauterbrunnen, which can be reached by train from Interlaken Ost. (Interlaken has Ost and West Bahnhofen.)

So for more of my fun trip, email me directly at either of two accounts:
[email protected] or
[email protected]
Our servers will be down some of the time for the next week as the telecommunications boys upgrade the cables. But the mail should get through.

One question: is there any way you can extend the trip at your expense? (Assuming that you would not have to pay extra airfare.) You have a good sampler, but if you could squeeze a few more days out of it, you might be able to start on the main course.

Feb 13th, 1999, 04:51 AM
larry

Switzerland is by far my wife's and my favorite country. We can not visit europe without returning to Switzerland for a few days.

You will enjoy all parts of Switzerland. The train from Montreux to Interlaken is one of the most scenic in the country. In Interlaken do not miss a day trip up to the top of the Jungfrau. On a clear day the view will "knock your socks off" If you can return to Interlaken via Grindelwald. Another don't miss in Interlaken is a day ride on one of the Lake boats. On both lakes you can ride a boat to the far end of the lake and either return by boat or catch a train. It's a great way to relax and enjoy the scenery. Your Swiss Pass will be accepted on all boats, trains, cog railroads, etc.

Lucerne is a nice city but we prefer to stay in smaller cities/towns up in the mountains.

Hope this has helped. Let us know how your trip was upon your return.

Larry

Feb 13th, 1999, 06:11 PM
Cheryl Z.

I envy you!! Switzerland is my favorite country, and you've got a good itinerary. I love the Montreux area, kinda expensive in Montreux itself. There is a jazz festival (July??) if you're interested depending on when your going. Try to see some of the other little villages along the lake, like Cully. Also, not too far away is the little village of Gruyere - beautiful. The main languages are German (Zurich area), French (Montreux), and Italian in the Alps on the Italian border, plus dialects, so bone up on some basic phrases. The Swiss are more reserved, but very helpful. I love Interlaken, Zermatt, St. MOritz the best (at this moment!), can be touristy, but I don't care. The Alps are incredible! For a special Swiss meal, have the raclett (sp?) potatoes with cheese but prepared/presented a special way. Have a wondeful trip.

Feb 15th, 1999, 05:04 AM
dan

If you can extend a day or two at your own expense, I would do it this way. Fly into Geneva, train to Montreux for your three nights there, then train to Interlaken and stay there for three nights - you will love the hiking trails if you like the outdoors, then train to Lucerne early morning and spend a full day or two there. Then fly out of Zurich. Of course, going in the other direction would work well too.

I hope you are luckier than I. I won a trip for two to Switzerland a couple of years ago on a local radio station. The people at the travel agency (a branch of Travel Agents International - independent franchises) were complete idiots. Before my trip was paid for, the travel agency owners declared bankruptcy, and the radio station would not make good on more than half the trip cost. The results: I have not listened to the radio station since, but I did go to Switzerland, largely at my own expense, added a week in Paris, and had a wonderful time. Hope you do the same. Switzerland is one of our favorites - truly beautiful.

Feb 16th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Amy

Is there a Swiss village more beautiful than Wengen?
Wengen is a tiny alpine village where there are no cars (too high)and vistas like I've never seen.
The beauty and charm of this place - right down to the chiming of cowbells in the wind, left me with memories for a lifetime.
I am returning to Europe this spring and will revisit this wonderous place.
If any of you know of b&bs or inns in Wengen, please let me know...

Feb 16th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Amy

Wengen is a tiny alpine village where there are no cars (too high)and vistas like I've never seen.
The beauty and charm of this place - right down to the chiming of cowbells in the wind, left me with memories for a lifetime.

Feb 16th, 1999, 06:50 PM
Amy