Autoeurope car rental LGW

Feb 15th, 1999, 07:09 PM
Andrew

Autoeurope car rental LGW

Hi:
I've been given a pretty reasonable quote for a car rental at Gatwick this summer.

The company is called Autoeurope. Can anyone vouch for this company. Do they exist?

Also, does anyone have experience with the 'green card' insurance for taking a UK car to the continent?

Many thanks

Feb 16th, 1999, 03:55 AM
Raphael

AutoEurope is a very good company, based in Maine. We rented a car from them in France and were very satisfied.

Feb 16th, 1999, 04:01 AM
Richard

Andrew, Autoeurope is a company we've used many times, in the UK as well as the continent. Although your voucher will be issued by Autoeurope the car will be from a major rental company, Avis, Hertz etc. Not familiar with "green card" insurance, but I'm not sure I would want to drive a right-hand drive car on the continent, in fact I know I wouldn't.

Feb 16th, 1999, 05:25 AM
Ron

Go back about 2 weeks on this forum and you will find Auto Europe addressed in a number of postings, all fvourable as I remember.

Feb 16th, 1999, 10:48 AM
sonia

When I rented via AutoEurop in England (Dorset), it turned out to be a National branch. Service and car were fine. price was good.

About "green card" insurance: when we lived in England, you got the green card from your own auto insurer when taking your own car to Europe. I doubt that would apply to a rented car. And as Richard said, it's not a good idea to take a rented car across the channel -- in fact, the rental company may not even permit it. I'm sure it would be cheaper to rent a separate car at your European destination. For more info on green cards, you could check the AA (British Automobile Association) website.

Feb 16th, 1999, 09:59 PM
Jack

I booked with Hertz in the US for England and Germany and found the rates 30% less than booking in Europe. I actually called the U.S. while in Germany to set up my reservations for Germany.