itinerary for Provence

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 07:24 PM
ita
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itinerary for Provence

I would appreciate a critique of our plans for October:
Fly into Nice-spend 3 days in the town-how is Hotel Windsor or any other suggestions?
Pick up a car, relocate to an apartment in Vence for one week to explore this area.
Continue to an apartment in Lourmarin for 1 week to explore Vaucluse.
Drive to Lyon, give up car & explore Lyon for 3 days-any suggestions for a hotel-how is Hotel des Artistes?
Thanks in advance for all your help
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:04 PM

Ita, I don't know your hotels, but the itinerary sounds very nice. When in Vence, be sure to visit St. Paul de Vence and the Maeght Foundation. It's a wonderful experience.

If you go to Grasse, try to go for the Saturday flower market. They sell everything, but the flowers are spectacular. I always get gifts at the Fragonard Perfume Factory too.

In Lourmarin, a really quaint little town, take a day trip to St. Remy. If you do a search in the window above, you'll get lots of information about it.

We loved Silvacane Abbaye near Charleval. One of the days we were there, a visiting choir burst into song as we toured the Abbaye.

Hopefully someone will let you know about the hotels, although you could do a search on those too. I suspect someone has posted them before. It won't be completely current but will give you an idea.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Lyon is wonderful and the Hotel des Artistes gets high marks on this board (I couldn't get in when I went). It's located in the Bellecour area, very central to Old Lyon. Lots to see: old Roman ruins, quaint cobblestone streets and the traboules (covered walkways - get a map and try not to get lost!).

Before you give up your car, go to Annecy (about 1+) away from Lyon for a day trip. Did not go, but wish I did.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM

I agree about the trip up to Annecy--the old part of the town is charming and picturesque, and the drive along the lake is beautiful.

What's your price range for the Nice hotel? And do you want to be near the sea?
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Lourmarin is one of my favorite stops at either the local cafes or the more upscale Moulin de Lourmarin. One of my favorite shops is there. "Cote Bastide". Camus is buried there in the local cemetary. I prefer the Senneque Abbaye but only my preference.The Markets along the canals in Annecy are fun and very good. Lunch At "Pere Brise" on the lake in Toilloires was treat. The Maeght Foundation, not to be missed.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM
ita
Original Poster

My price range for a hotel in Nice and Lyon would be $100-$150
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Hotel des Artistes in Lyon is wonderful. We were there just last May. Walking distance to lots....we were just there one night, but could have stayed longer. We parked in an underground lot. Lyon is really a fab city. We also visited Lourmarin twice while we were in Provence. It is a very cool town.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:21 PM
ita
Original Poster

Sal B: Where is Charleval? I can't find it in my guide book
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Ita -

Having moved to Provence 3 years ago, I feel pretty comfortable telling you your itinerary is not bad at all. Two suggestions, however: 1) while exploring the Cote d'Azur, do not leave out St. Tropez and Cassis. They are two fantastically beautiful towns which are to be totally avoided in teh summer, but in the fall are much less crowded and well worth the visit. 2) I would split your time in the Vaucluse -1/2 in the south of the luberon (and Lourmarin is a fine base for that) and 1/2 in the north of the Luberon (that's where we settled, because it is the prettiest part of Provence, of course).

Good luck.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Silvacane Abbey is just south of Cadanet off the D943.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Ita, Charleval is on the D561 west of Silvacane Abbey. From Lourmarin you would take the D943 south and turn right on D561. The abbey is on your right and further on is the cute little town of Charleval. There is a really nice restaurant beside the little church there.

There's also a great boulangerie but I can't give directions to it. Just follow someone carrying a baguette. That's how we found it.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Hey, I stayed at Hotel Windsor in November 2003. It's a great place. nice staff, clean, etc. We stayted in the room with the yellow writing on the wall. It has a great balcony overlooking the intersection. Good luck. You'll love it. Do NOT stay at Nice's Hotel HI. It's rooms have toilets on pedestals, with no walls, in the middle of the room.