Itinerary for Peloponnese trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of visiting Greece next summer. Peloponnese seems to be a great challenge for exploring but I am afraid that we have not enough time to see it all in 2 days. Could you suggest me a convenient itinerary? Thanks in advance,
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 12:27 AM

Do you have 2 nights or 1 night? We are spending 4 nights in Nauplion in Sept and hope to visit Mycenae and Epidaurus and Naplion.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 12:45 AM

Well, it depends on how much time you are going to spend there. If you have 7-10 days at your disposal, I think that you can stay 1-2 days in Athens and then probably having rent a car and got provided with a map, you can drive to Corinth. Make a stop at Ancient Corinth, it was one of the most important cities of ancient Greece, have a look here for details http://ancient-corinth.com/ . Continuously, you can drive through Mycenae, Argos and then arrive in Nafplio for overbight. You can spend 1-2 days there and you can drive to Epidavro which is close to Nafplio, after that. You can spend 1-2 days to one of the islands close to Kranidi (to the south) like Hydra or Spetses. Then you can drive either to Monemvasia or Messinia from where you can go to Pylos and Dyros cave (a must see in my opinion). Then, you can drive to the north west towards Olympia where you can visit the archaeological site and then you can direct to Kalvrita. You may customize the route according to what you would like to do and see. I proposed you a general iteinerary because you have not provided much information on your preferences.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Actually I was thinking of spending 6-7 days because I know that Peloponnese is big. I had not though of ancient Corinth and it seems very interesting. Nafplio is definately a choice for me but I will think seriously about Spetses or Hydra island which are really attractive. Thank you for your help. I appreciate your guidelines and I keep searching...
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 07:23 AM

There is so much to see and do in the Peloponnese. A car rental is essential. I agree with Helen, On the way to Nauplion be sure to stop at Corinth and visit the canal, Ancient Corinth is a great site and just where you turn off the National Road to Nauplion head the other direction about 5km where you will find Ancient Nemia. It is a sister city to Olympia with its own stadium and games and has a partially restored temple and a very good museum. This site is relatively unknown but will be a highlight on your trip.
You can easily spend 2 or 3 days in Nauplion exploring the old town and Venetian Era fortresses. Day trips to visit nearby sites of Epidaurus, Mycenae Ancient Tiyrns and Argos will certainly fill in your days.
For a real treat head south to Mystras at Sparti. This is a Byzantine city meandering down the side of a mountain and takes a minimum of 4 hours to visit. Then head south and West to the stunning fortified city of Monemvassia where you can stay inside the city walls in period rooms. Unforgettable.
All that will be hard to do in a week.
Here are some pictures of that trip.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/570...w?vhost=travel
Have fun planning
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 07:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We drove from Napflion to the coast and took a water taxi to Spetses for the day. I would like to spend more time on Spetses in the future as it had a lot of charm and was very green in contrast to the Cyclades.