Itinerary for Paris to Venice Trip

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary for Paris to Venice Trip

My family (husband, 5 yr old daughter and I) is planning a trip to Paris and Venice this April for 2 weeks. We plan to just spend a couple of days in Paris then move to Italy and spend the rest of our vacation there. We absolutely cannot miss Venice but being first timers we don't know if we can squeeze one or two more cities in Italy in our 2 weeks. Any suggestions for what cities not to miss? I also want help on itineraries if that's not too much to ask...

I want to do this trip on our own vs tour groups but having a 5 yr old with us...i don't know if that's a good idea. Any ideas will be most welcome.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
ira

Hi bd,

> We plan to just spend a couple of days in Paris....<

Sacre bleu!

How can you deprive the child, and yourselves, of Paris?

I suggest
Fly into Florence FLR or Pisa PSA
4 nights in Florence - daytrip to Siena and/or Orvieto

Train to Venice - 3 nights

Fly www.myair.com to Paris ORY

6 nights in Paris

Fly home.

Alternatively, skip Paris this trip,
Fly into Venice - 3 nights
Train to Florence - 4 nights,
Train to Rome - 6 nights
Fly home

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Have you been to Paris? Is there a reason you only want to spend 2 days in Paris? There is probably more to see and experience in Paris than any other city in Europe.

I would spend 1 week in Paris and 1 week in Venice. Rent apartments so you have a place to relax and to sometimes prepare your own meals.

Fly into Paris and home from Venice. Fly from Paris to Venice.

You can do a day trip or 2 from either city.

Do you have any guidebooks? I suggest researching each city using a guidebook or 2 and also reading some trip reports on slowtrav.com. Then you can come back with specific questions on itineraries.

Keep in mind that you can (and will) return to Italy to visit other cities and areas. Take your time to enjoy 2 of the most beautiful and fancinating cities in the world.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Why is there often such an issue taken with the travel wishes of the OP's?

They want to spend only a few days Paris - so be it. She asked for help on Italy for the remaining 10-11 days with Venice as the one "must see" - that is all.

Recommending dropping Paris and/or spending more time there than the OP wants to is not what was asked.

If she said "should I do this" then fine, provide opinions on the foolishness of the proposed escapade (generally speaking one sees a lot of that in responses, I'm not suggesting that this proposal is a foolish escapade)

So, Bdaygirl, it is not unreasonable to see some areas of Italy besides Venice in 10-11 days. At 3-4 days each you could see Venice and 2 other centres, or keep it to one more area if you wanted to slow things down and stay more settled. Where you end up only depends on your interests and how you plan to get there.

There are too many things to suggest without knowing some of your likes and transportation options; do you want to see some smaller cities and towns as a change from Paris and Venice? Are you flying into Paris and open jaw from Venice or are there other options, like into Paris, Paris to Venice, Venice to Rome, then back from Rome? Would you fly in Italy, or will you take a train, or consider renting a car? Each of those opens up different possibilities.

Do you want to see art, scenic vistas, coastline. Put a little bit more of a box around this and you will get some great and specific answers.

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM

We took the overnight train from Paris to Venice. This saved time.

I would stay Paris 4-5 nights.
Venice 4-5 nights and Rome 4-5 nights.

It is best to rent apartments in each place. There are so many to choose from in all sizes and price ranges. More room for child to play.

In Paris we stayed in Marias. This is centrally located to all the sites.

In Venice I have stayed in Cannareggio and Dorsoduro. Both were wonderful. Kids run wild

In Rome i love the area around Campo di Fiore. The child might like the colorful market.