Reload this Page >

Itinerary for Germany

Search

Itinerary for Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Ed Girard

Itinerary for Germany

My wife and I have previously made two trips on our own to Germany and would like recommendations for a third. Our previous trips were:<BR>- Rhine/Mosel and into Luxembourg with Trier and Burg Eltz as highlights.<BR>- Bavaria, including Munich and sojurns into Austria and to Insel Mainau.<BR><BR>My thought is to visit Berlin, Dresden, and interesting nearby places on a 10 - 12 day trip. We typically get a rental car to see the countryside and stay in Gasthofs, Zimmer Frei, or small hotels (trying for room cost of $50 - $100/day). We might even consider a few days travel over to Prague and back by train or auto from Dresden. Any suggestions?<BR>Ed Girard

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Rex

My knowledge of this eastern portion of Germany is limited, compared to some other experts on this forum - - but I strongly recommend including Weimar on your itinerary. Not out of your way - - and very enjoyable.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Victoria

We just returned last week from a nine day driving tour of the former east Germany, including the cities of Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden, Bautzen, Meissen and Goerlitz. We, too, stayed in smaller hotels and a castle. I've just about finished my trip report and would be happy to send you a copy if you'd like?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:50 AM
wes fowler

Here’s a novel idea or two. I have a few driving itinearies that are based on Gottingen, a town about 280kms northeast of Frankfurt. (The distance is about the same as from Frankfurt to Schongau on the Romantic Road in Upper Bavaria.) It seems as though many prospective travelers to Germany think primarily of Bavaria and its Romantic Road or the Rhine and Mosel Valleys as the only appealing and scenic spots of interest in Germany. The area immediately surrounding Gottingen is laced with scenic roads, medieval houses, fairy tale villages and the Deutsche Marchenstrasse (the Fairytale Route) and the fairy tales to accompany them, wooden churches reminiscent of Scandanavia, Egyptian antiquities (!?!) , imposing castles both Renaissance and Baroque in style and evidence of the reign of Charlemagne. Gottingen itself has an incongruous feature, the university founded in 1737 by the Elector Georg August of Hannover who, just coincidentally, happened to be King George II of England. All are unencumbered with the hordes of tourists more commonly found in Bavaria. <BR><BR>To thoroughly explore and enjoy the delights of the portions of the Lander Hessen, Nordrhein-Westfalen and Niedersachsen that lie about Gottingen, one should plan on traveling by auto and devoting a week's time to capture the essence of the area.<BR><BR>If you'd like a copy of the itineraries and a suggestion or two, drop me an Email. <BR><BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:37 AM
victor

<BR>hi victoria<BR>could u sent me a copy of your trip report. Just came back from germany biz trip (2nd trip) and planning a third trip next year probably around the areas you mentioned plus gottingen.<BR><BR>thanks<BR>victor<BR>our first trip report is at www.vgpma.com/travel

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:45 AM
aunt grapes

Victoria-we are planning trip to same area this Fall. Are you going to post a trip report? Interested in your impression, suggestions and accomodation info. Thanks for any help you provide.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Ingo

Hi all,<BR><BR>I live in Dresden, so if you have questions send me an email or post here. Maybe I can be of a little help.<BR><BR>It is quite easy to go by train from Dresden to Prague and back, but I would stay at least one or two nights there.<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Ed Girard

Hi Victoria,<BR>Please do send me a copy of your trip report.<BR>Ed

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:35 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Victoria

To those who've requested one, a copy of my trip report has been sent. (Because it was seven pages long, posting it on this site would have been cumbersome.) Enjoy!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:27 AM
CharlieB

Dresden is a must see as is Prague and Berlin (if you have not been there). Consider also Leipzig and "Sachsen Switzerland" both short trips from Dresden. Have a wonderful trip

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:52 AM
sharon

Victoria,<BR>Could I see a copy of your report please? many thanks

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Linda

Dear Victoria,<BR>May I also have a copy of your trip report? We drove through Dresden two years ago and decided that we would like to visit the area around there more on another trip. Thanks.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Lou

Great thread. Great change of pace from all the London-Paris-Rome questions!<BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:50 AM
birgit

Dear Victoria,<BR><BR>Could I also have a copy of your report please. I am from the Black Forest but live in California. Now we're planning a trip to East Germany for a wedding and also our vacation. Since I know nothing about that area your report might be helpful.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Susan

Victoria,<BR>May I join the group in requesting your trip report. We're planning a trip in that area and would appreciate reading your account.<BR>Thanks, <BR>Susan

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:28 PM
topper

ttt<BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Harzer

Hi Ed!<BR><BR>You have some very sound advice here. It is certainly good to see people asking for information about the East, which remains relatively little known.<BR><BR>My personal recommendation for people going to Berlin and Dresden is to try to take in a bit of the Harz on your way to Berlin from Frankfurt (I assume you are picking your car up there). The jewels in the Harz, apart from the general ambience, are three: Goslar, Wernigerode and Quedlinburg, all untouched by the passage of time since the 14th or 15th century. <BR><BR>Your goal of $50/50 euros a day for accommodation should be easily achieved if indeed you restrict yourselves to Zimmer in private homes, pensions or Gasthof/Gasthaus. It would be extremely rare to be charged anything approaching $100 in these categories.<BR><BR>Good luck<BR>Harzer<BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Ann

Just adding a plug for the wonderful town of Eisenach. I've previously posted about Bach's hometown, but am happy to take this opportunity to re-introduce it. Wartburg is a romantic castle which inspired Ludwig, but which is the real thing and dear to Germans. You can visit Martin Luther's rooms in the castle, where he began translating the Bible. The fabulous hall hosts concerts throughout the year, as does the Bach Haus below the castle in the town of Eisenach. The castle museum has several Cronach the Elder paintings of Luther, for art lovers. The town square is really lovely and rapidly being renovated. Best hotel? No question, the fabulous hotel just steps from the castle on a hill overlooking the town. Check out http://www.wartburghotel.de/

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Joe

Ed: Southwest of Dresden are Coburg, Bamberg, Nurnberg and Regensburg, all with very interesting Medieval sections.This area of Franconia is noted for its castles, its rural richness (read that fewer tourists), Holy Roman Empire History, authentic German cuisine and fine wines (whites predominate, but reds are on the rise). Actually, Regensburg is just outside of Franconia, but is often included because it is so close. We loved this area of Germany when we toured it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -