Itinerary... first draft!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for all of the advice so far.... below is a an outline of the itinerary (possible) for my summer trip to Croatia... I will be traveling in mid/late July (yes I know it's the busy season but it's the only time I have for travel this year), want to see as much as possible without stretching myself so thin that I don't get the chance to really take in any of the cities/areas... I definitely want to spend some quality time on the coast/islands and Plitvice is a must (I've been staring at a pix on my screen saver for weeks)... I've listed any specific questions I have below with the itinerary but really any practical advice you have would be appreciated!

Oh, I am a woman (late 30's... at least for a few weeks more) traveling solo... adventerous and energetic! Would rather chill out in the water or in a cafe to relax then sleep in late/go to bed early!

(flying in from the US via London)

2 nights in Dubrovnik
2 nights in Korkula (?) *Dubrovnik to Korkula via catamaran (quickest way?)
Ferry (or quickest way) from Korkula to Hvar
3 nights in Hvar
Ferry from Hvar to Split/Trogir
2 nights in Trogir
rent a car on last day in Trogir and drive to Plitvice area (about 4 hours?) so that I can tour the national park early the next day
1 night in Plitvice area
drive from Plitvice to Istria (about 4 hours?)
3 nights in Istria (not exactly sure which town yet)
from Istria I will be catching a ferry over to Venice and then home...

I know it's a lot but from what I've been reading it's not that different from a lot of other listed itineraries and I want to see as much as possible!

One possible alternative would be to take the bus from Dubrovnik to Split and then visit Hvar and maybe just a day trip/one night in Brac?

any thoughts?
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
a suggestion -- if you put "Croatia" in your title, it will help other readers know what you are asking about. As it is, only after one opens the thread do we know it is tagged Croatia. Unless someone clicks on Croatia, they most likely will not see your questions.

Lots of people have been to Croatia - but probably don't click on it every time they get on Fodors . . . . . . .

Take a look how others have titled their threads. Usually more detail/country/city
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM

Janis: many aspects of the new design are horrible and un-user-friendly, but you can now see the tag in the list of threads.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:44 PM

oops - yes I know the tags show. But it only shows on the main list on the left side. I opened the thread from the New Activity section and the tag does not display there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM

Huh - yes it does?? Somehow I could not see the tag.

Sorry . . . . .
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM

Your itinerary sounds very similar to one we did last year with just a few changes. We spent 4 nights in Dubrovnik, drove to Trogir for 2 nights, ferried (with car)to Hvar for 3 nights, Plitvice for one night and Rovinj for 3 nights. We thought the pace was quite comfortable and enjoyed everywhere we stayed in Croatia!
You will have a wonderful trip!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM

I think your itinerary looks fine.
Dbv-Korcula: Yes, a catamaran would probably be the quickest but also note the bus is only 3 hours. Try http://www.korculainfo.com/ferries-korcula.htm for catamaran links.
Korcula-Hvar: There may be a catamaran from Korcula to Hvar, so look into that--I found the ferry ride to be loooong. About 5 hours from Korcula to Hvar probably--that's the one to Stari Grad (a short bus ride from Hvar town). Also, since it is July, you might consider staying in Stari Grad instead.
I am generally one to stay at least 3 nights, but if you anticipate exploring Istria, you might consider 2 nights in Hvar and add a night up there once you get that more fleshed out. That way you could break up your travels across Istria better, maybe 2 nights each in 2 places.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM

I like your itinerary - it is a great mix and definitely doable. Beware that Dubrovnik and the islands especially will be crowded! For a more tranquil island I would recommend Mljet if you need a bit of an escape. However, Hvar and Korcula are also pretty and have lots to offer.

For Istria a lovely place to stay is Rovinj. I think I already mentioned this but Pula is interesting for half a day. My favourite tiny hilltown villages are Groznjan, Hum, Bale, Draguc, Grascice and Motovun (although Motovun can become overrun with tourist buses). Glad you are renting a car in the area.

A daytrip to Split would be great - preferable to Brac in my view. But then I just don't like commercialized resort-like spots - it will be very, very busy.

If you would like food recommendations and/or accommodations let us know!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... I really appreciate the feedback!

Mljet.. I will look into that one. I actually thought that Brac was not that "commercial" so thanks for that info.

I was planning to explore Split while staying in Trogir.

I had wondered if I needed another day in Istria... I hate the idea of loosing a day on the islands... do you think that if I cut a night out of Dubrovnik (I arrive early afternoon so I could still have about a day and half to explore) I would regret it?

I would love any accommodation recommendations you have for me... I am hoping to go for relatively "budget" places for most of the trip with a few "mild splurges" here or there... Really all I need is a bed, bathroom, and a place that's centrally located. I was hoping to find some small local owned hotel rooms or Level A/B private accomodations.

Once I get all the reservations made I will take up that offer for food recommendations too!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 03:20 AM

In high season we prefer to stay in north east Istria (Lovran,Icici,Volosko etc) It is less busy, central for day trips and is only 2.5 hours from Plitvice.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Like LittleVicky our preference is Istria in peak season in our stone house! You can really get away from crowds there. To this day I have no idea why the guidebooks say Istria is the most touristed and busy part of the country - not even close! Some towns like Rovinj can be crowded but if you get a few km away you can easily find tranquility and no resorts. Weird.

Brac isn't terribly commercial - just too much sun/beach/resort stuff for me personally. Just doesn't do it for me. I'll put it this way - Brac/Bol is not a place I would return to and I would return to everywhere else I've been in Croatia. However, there are obviously those who love it!! Mljet is forested and very pretty and ethereal.

As you only have 2 nights in Dubrovnik I definitely would not cut any time from there. You probably would regret it. If you were to cut any nights I would personally cut one from Hvar as two are fine there.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Unfortunately private accommodations for one can be expensive--look into renting a room in someone's home. I have done this before--you can specify that it be a woman's home. It is often quite private. You can go to a tourist office when you arrive and they will set you up. I have found hotels to be pretty lackluster in my price range. I liekd the Hotels in Plitvice though, because they are so conveniently located. Since you will have a car you will have more options though.
Bol was not my favorite place either, and I was there in Spring, but other parts of Brac are more appealing if tiny. (If you have the occasion to head over there, I would check out Milna.)
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Good point on accommodation. There are some amazingly charming private accommodations in Croatia - one of my favouties in Istria is less than $50 CDN! If you are interested in off-the-beaten-path rural places I have tons of ideas. I never stay in hotels (don't like them) so cannot recommend any personally.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Your itinerary is fine. It's nice to do islands as well as Istria. There are several nice towns in Istria to visit or to overnight.

Here are links to 2 of my web pages on 2 trips to Croatia. Perhaps they will help you in your planning.

http://www.travel.stv77.com/croatia/slovenia.htm (2006)
http://www.travel.stv77.com/croatia/croatia.htm (2003)

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

I probably should have clarified.. when I said "private accomodation" I was thinking of a room/bathroom and not an apartment type... I read (Rick Steve's I think) that there are different types A(room/bath/extras like tv)/ B (room/bath)/ C (room with shared bath)... I would be happy with A or B (don't need the extras but would prefer to have my own bath).

Since I am going in July I am not really comfortable with waiting until I arrive to find a room however so if you know of any inexpensive rooms/accomodations in any of the areas I have on my itinerary I would love the recommendation.

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

add to my "accomodations wish list" a room rental where they have a single (are not going to charge me extra for being a solo traveler).

thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM

We just posted a trip report at www.hitherandthither.net about our summer trip to Croatia. You might find some of it helpful for your planning... Hope so!
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!