Itinerary advice for 'missing' 4 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2022, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're returning to Italy in September-October 2023 for the 9th time, and would like to combine some familiar hiking haunts in the north with some new (to us) destinations in the centre and south. We're fairly happy with most of our itinerary, but we have a 'missing' 4 nights or so and would love some advice about where to spend them.

This is our itinerary so far, with around 5 nights in each place. We'll be hiring a car for some of it, including the 'missing' 4 nights about which we're seeking advice.

- Arrive Milan Malpensa, then drive to Orta San Guilio (4 nights)
- Drive to Cogne for 7 nights in the Gran Paradiso National Park
- Drive to Courmayeur (4 nights)
- THE 'MISSING' 4 nights are here. We've spent quite a lot of time in the Langhe and Emilia-Romagna on previous trips, or else we would stay in Asti or Parma, for example. We've also spent a fair amount of time around Genoa, or else this might have been an option
- Drive to Montepulciano as base for southern Tuscany (5 nights)
- Drive to Spello as base for Umbria (5 nights)
- Return the car in Perugia and train to Naples (5 nights)
- Train to Catanzaro to make a pilgrimage to family villages in the area (3 nights)
- Train to Rome (5 nights) and fly home from there.

We could also move the 'missing' 4 nights to follow our Umbria stay and use them to see something of Abruzzo, including the national park.
Any advice would be welcome! I should explain that this entirely Italian trip now replaces a trip I've recently shared on the France forum.

Old Dec 26th, 2022, 03:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's an idea - wing it. With just the two of you and a car, you could simply take off in a direction that appeals to you and stop when you feel like it. You might pick up some ideas while you are there, or in the next 9 months or so, and with on line booking if you were worried about getting somewhere you could always phone ahead or book online.
Old Dec 26th, 2022, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, annhig. I’m such an anxious traveler that I always have everything arranged beforehand, but yours is good advice.
Old Dec 26th, 2022, 07:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
What about waterfront Santa Margherita Ligure or Camogli?
Old Dec 26th, 2022, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<<We could also move the 'missing' 4 nights to follow our Umbria stay and use them to see something of Abruzzo, including the national park.>>

That's what I would do, given you want to see something new, you enjoy hiking and you've already "spent quite a lot of time in the Langhe and Emilia-Romagna on previous trips.... [and] also spent a fair amount of time around Genoa, or else this might have been an option."

Or you could drive from Spello to southern Le Marche and explore there.

We took a trip once that involved staying in Spello for several nights, then driving via the Piano Grande to Ascoli Piceno in Le Marche, where we spent several nights, before roadtripping down through Abruzzo, sleeping in Santo Stefano di Sessanio for the Gran Sasso part of the journey. We eventually made it down to Naples where we dropped the car off.

I highly recommend Le Marche as well as Abruzzo.

Old Dec 26th, 2022, 08:39 PM

Dunno RB, maybe consider basing in Bevagna? A wide range of daytrips can be done from there. Including going for the sunrise at Castelluccio...
But September-October could very possibly place you there for their 'combo' week: the Labor Day International Food Fest, the concurrent live theatre program at Bevagna's cute historic theatre, plus the annual Communion for tweeners. The latter includes a solemn torchlit procession.
You're spoiled for choice, really.

Good Luck.
I am done. The end.
Old Dec 26th, 2022, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate this suggestion, but we’ve previously spent time in these areas.
Old Dec 26th, 2022, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Leely2: I think is exactly what we should be looking at. Much appreciated!!
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, zebec: Bevagna is a great suggestion.
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 08:50 AM

There are 4 possibilities to leave Courmayeur:
towards Chamonix - Lake Geneva/Lake Annecy/Lyon - Grenoble Turin............
towards La Thuile - Bourg St. Maurice - Val d'Isere - Oulx - Briancon - Cuneo........
towards Roman Aosta - Aosta Valley castles - Ivrea - Turin.....
towards - Aosta - Martigny - Sion - Simplon Pass - Milan.......
There is enough stuff for 4 days along each of these itineraries.
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 06:39 PM

Bologna or Torino?
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you once again to everyone who has shared their suggestions with me here. We've decided to spend the extra time in Umbria and Abruzzo, so I'm not seeking any further suggestions now, but remain grateful for your help.