Search

Itinerary Advice and Transportation London

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Advice and Transportation London

Hello,
I am looking for some advice on some of the transportation options for my itinerary.

1. I fly into LHR and get in early on a weekday morning and need to get to Hilton Metropole. Originally I planned on taking the Heathrow Express then a cab. Now I'm thinking of taking the tube to save $. I see from the tube map I need to make a transfer to get to Edgware Rd. I'm wondering if there is an advantage of one route over another in terms of travel time OR ease of transfer. Should I take Picadilly line from LHR to Earls Court and switch to either Circle or District? Or take it to Acton Town and switch to District. I will have luggage that I think I can carry up and down steps...

2. On my last day I'll be returning a car to LHR and am staying at a hotel on Bath Rd. I'll be returning to London from the Bath area. I plan on spending that afternoon at Kew Gardens. My dilemma is whether to return the car before going to Kew or drive to Kew. I'm weighing options due to the cost of the rental car and if I return it early enough I won't get charged another day. Also, exactly how would I get to Kew from there? I see it is pretty simple to get there via tube from LHR, so if I could go to the hotel and drop off luggage then go return the car and catch the tube at the airport? Or return the car first, go the the hotel and then is there a bus I might be able to catch from Bath Rd. to Kew? It seems there is not a lot of parking at Kew also. Maybe there are other options I'm not thinking about.

Thanks
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Take the Tube to Earls Court - you'll get more choice of trains there.

As for your other question Kew is only a couple of miles off the M4 so it's probably easier to drive there then return the car (I'd drop off your luggage at the hotel while you still have the car to save some effort)
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Parking near Kew can be tricky. During weekdays, there's very little easily accessible, and it's very easy to park somewhere you'll get towed away. However, Kew is well signed from the M4 motorway, though there are a few tricky right hand turns once you're off the motorway that require considerable assertiveness.

Check at www.tfl.gov.uk for buses, though I don't think it's straightforward: remember if you're planning to tube it that there's no interchange between the District and Piccadilly Line most of the day at Turnham Green, so you've got to change at Acton Town to an eastbound District, then get a westbound at Turnham Green.

It's quicker to change at Earl's Court than Acton Town for your journey to Edgware Rd.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. So... making 2 transfers to get to Kew - how big of a pain will that be? I'm wondering if I should pick something different to do on my last day.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:36 AM

"making 2 transfers to get to Kew - how big of a pain will that be?"

You get off the train, cross the platform (at Acton Town) - or often not - or cross the bridge (at Turnham Green) and get on another train.

With bags, possibly a bit of a nuisance. Without - well, really.