Search

Itinenerary Suggestions...honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinenerary Suggestions...honeymoon

Hello,

I have previously posted searching for advice on hotels and where to stay and found the advice very helpful. Now I need some help determining if the itinerary I'm plotting out is realistic. Here it is:

Thursday, June 22 - Notre Dame, St.Chapelle, Square du Vert Galant, Pompidou Center, Sacre Couer/Place du Tetre

Friday, June 23 - Louvre, Tuiliries, Place de la Concorde, Dome Church, Musee Rodin, Eiffel Tower(at night)

Saturday, June 24 - Versailles, Arc de Triomphe/Champs Elysees (at night)...any room for something else on this day??

Sunday, June 25 - strolling in the St. Germain de Pres area, St. Sulpice, The Pantheon, Musee d'Orsay, Seine River Cruise (at night)

Any suggestions on how realistic it would be to get take in these sights on the planned days would be greatly appreciated...THANKS!!!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Too much scheduled for each day in my vision of a honeymoon in Paris. And have you considered jet lag? The first day covers a lot of real estate.

No apparent time in each day for a nice, leisurely lunch in a romantic cafe.

Factor in the time required to get from place to place. Paris is one of the greatest cities in the world for walking. You miss a lot if you travel only by Metro.

On the days including museums, you would seem to have little time to see what are large collections and in the case of the Louvre one of the largest collections in the world. (The Louvre and the Rodin on the same day would be masterpiece overload for me.) I'm not saying you need to force yourself to spend hours and hours, but you shouldn't be surprised if you end up doing just that.

I would not go to Versailles on a weekend in June. Monday thru Friday would be less congested.

Bottom line: Paris is one of the most romantic cities in the world, but you have to see it slowly to appreciate that fact.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info...I had a feeling I was trying to cram too much in. It's just that we're both young (23 and 20) and we won't be able to get back to Paris for quite some time so we both want to do as much as possible. Leisurely lunch(as well as fancy dinners) isnt something we're all that concerned with although we do want to do quite a bit of walking so I'll have to factor that in more than originally planned.

As far as the congestion at Versailles on Saturday, what sights/activities(preferably from the list) would you recommend that day that would perhaps be less crowded. Thanks again!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 07:18 PM

I also think there's waaaay too much on day one especially.

Saturday at Versailles is one thing I wouldn't try. I'd move that to another day just to avoid the weekend mob scene. Get there 15 minutes before it opens, walk through the apartments (that takes a couple of hours tops), then go see the gardens for as long as you like. When we did it in September we were back in Paris by 2 p.m., but tired from walking, so we rested a bit before going out for more.

Depending on where you're staying, it seems like your plans are sort of spread out. I'd take a look at a map of Paris, and try to put things closer together.

Place de la Concorde is just a big traffic circle with a cool middle. You won't spend much time there.

I'm not sure what the Square du Vert Galant holds for you, but you could probably take it out unless you have family waiting there for you.

St. Sulpice & the Pantheon are expendable in my view. I'd shave those out for more time to see the other items on your list.

When I went back in September, we saw more since we had a whole week, but with 4 days you'll probably want to relax a bit more and not be quite so rushed.

Make sure to hit the Arc de Triomphe at sunset so you can see the day-to-night transition and what is arguably one of the best views of Paris.

Have a great time!

Jules

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:00 AM
ira

Hi L,

I think that yours is the most imaginative spelling of "itinerary' yet.

You are very overplanned, as I am sure you realize.

With such a short time in Paris, I suggest that you skip Versailles. If you must go, do it on a Sunday when the fountains are on.

Better yet, on Sunday take the Metro to the Monceau stop and visit the Parc Monceau. From there, have brunch at the Jacquemart-Andre' Museum (http://www.citedutrain.com/www.cultu...ndre/index.htm)

Visit the Museum after lunch. Then walk over to the Arc de Triomphe, stroll down the Champs to the Louvre.

Leave the rest of the day for just wandering.

For the other days, choose one must see. Do that. Spend the rest of the day wandering.

If you are going to St. Sulpice, walk a few more blocks South and visit the Luxembourg gardens.

Also see Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...mp;tid=1277898

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34712768

Happy honeymoon.