itenerary in switzerland

Search

itenerary in switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itenerary in switzerland

Hello people, I am flying into Geneva and and will be in switzerland for 10 days. will be flying out of zurich. i need recommendations on planning my itenerary. i love mountains, quiant villages, green pastures and all things natural (i've seen pictures of grindlewald and it seems tlike the perfect place). im not really looking to shop or do any specific sports activities. my basic idea is seeing switzerland and relaxing on my holiday. Which other places besides grindlewald should i visit. where should i live. im thinking of renting an apartment for 7 days in a central place and drive around to variopus places each day (should taht central palce be grindlewald.)

Just FYI- We are travelling with a 4 month old baby so the itenerary planning will need to accomodate baby needs. we are planning on renting a car to drive around.

appreciate all advice
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 03:36 AM

Hi sumbul,

You don't say when you're coming, but I suspect it will be in the summertime. If you are coming in the summertime, I urge you to stay away from Grindelwald.

Because that's as high as the tour busses can go, that's where they all go -- they line up in the streets, and the off-loaded day-trippers crowd the sidewalks and clog up the entrances to the stores. The atmosphere is like being in a carnival.

It is really worth it to stay in a car-free village because of that. It might be worth some inconvenience on arrival and departures days if your six days while there are just like heaven. . . !

Have fun!

s
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

With 10 days, I'd probably pick Zermatt (2 or 3 days) and the Berner Oberland (7 days) OR the Berner Oberland (7 days) and Luzern (2 or 3 days). I agree with swandav2000... stay in a car free village (we LOVED Wengen) during your stay in the Berner Oberland. Also, I'd use the trains for travel in Switzerland. Some of the most beautiful places, such as Zermatt and many villages in the Berner Oberland, don't allow cars anyway. Switzerland's public transportation is excellent.

Paul
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies so far. I will be there from 26th may to 5th june.

Paul, if i do stay in grindlewald (before you guys replied i found a place that i actually love)....and deceide to go to all the places you mention anyway, would it be a long/difficult drive if we were to go in a car?

are all these palces well connected by buses and or tarins. we were thinking of a car because we have a lot of baby things to carry and moving from one place to the other would be a pain without a car with baby gadget.

how does one reach wengan?

what are some good sources to find decent vacation rentals?
thanks agian
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 08:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

Villages such as Wengen, Muerren, Zermatt, etc. are only reachable by train (or foot!). No car access. You can not drive to these places.

www.wengen.com

www.mylauterbrunnen.com/en/welcome.cfm

Paul