itenerary help - Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK! Here's the situation. I might arrive in Barcelona the morning of September 12. I want a nice, comfortable, inexpensive place to stay for a couple of days. My wife and I aren't into spending a lot of our vacation money on rooms that we might spend 8 hours in. We plan to travel by public transportation for the first couple of days to get our brains functioning and then rent a car from the airport. Then travel for a couple of weeks and return to a hotel near the airport (we are concerned about our morning flight out) to spend our last night. Soooo. the real question is where to stay inexpensively our first 2 nights and our last night. BS
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:19 AM

Please define "inexpensive". For some people, it's less than 50 euros (e.g. willing to try hostels, etc), for some the limit is 75, 100, 150, etc.

You might look into a) Pricline options for your Barcelona days; and/or b) Bancotel vouchers. I have no idea how the latter work, but perhaps someone with experience can advise - or check out www.bancotel.com.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:46 AM

We stayed at Hotel Continental in March and were very pleased. (www.hotelcontinental.com/home_ramblas.htm)

It's right on Las Ramblas, but back rooms are very quiet (and cheaper than front rooms, which have the view (€85 vs 105)). Very easy to walk everywhere from, near Placa Catalunya where the airport bus drops you off, metro stop outside in case you do want to take public transportation. Nice 24 hour buffet so you can get coffee, tea, fruit, etc anytime you want.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM

One thing to know about Barcelona is that staying near the airport is more expensive than finding things in the city, and getting from the city to the airport is very easy.

Even if you take a cab (perhaps it will be too early for the train or bus), it won't top 30€ including your luggage tax. I have never paid that much, but I am assuming you all will have more luggage than I ever did seeing as you are 2.

My close friend is staying at the Citypark Pelayo Hotel right now for something like 70€ a night which is a great rate for that area (Plaça Universitat). She is alone, but doubles are often the same or just a little more. And getting a cab from there to the airport will be a snap, as it is a hub for them.

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Why go all the way back to the airport to rent a car when you can easily get one in the city, and possibly cheaper, too.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Dukey

The reason for renting at the airport is because of our inexperience. Also of our fear of not knowing the city and it's services.
BS
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM

it is not hard to drive OUT of barcelona.
it is very well marked. certainly no harder than from the airport. just don't leave during the barcelona rush hours.
don't worry about it.you'll be fine.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM

I had a great last-night airport stay at the Tryp Aeropuerto. I just loved the hotel, which is 5 minutes from the airport and has a free shuttle. I booked through Bookings.es and got a rate for a terrific double for about 90e.

I picked staying at the airport because I, too, was returning a car (having spent several weeks outside of Barcelona in the mountains and coast) and I wanted to first drop off my luggage and then drop off my car before spending the last night in Barcelona having dinner with friends. That part was easy, but after dinner I opted to have a taxi take me back to the Tryp. (About 30e from the Barceloneta.) I could have taken the airport shuttle train and caught a taxi from the airport to my hotel -- but I was lazy!

Anyway, I very much liked sleeping in the extra 45 minutes before catching my plane the next day.

If you decide to stay at the airport, the Tryp is really quiet and modern, clean and hospitable. It's a Sol Melia hotel, I believe.

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM

www.solmelia.com
also had good reviews recently from client.